A practical guide brought to you by the Central Analytics Standing Group, based on questions and feedback from Alliance members like you.
On This Page
- Annual Reports (Including ACRL / IPEDS)
- Analytics in Action Videos
- Service Area Reports
- Primo – A separate system reached from Primo back office, these analytics generate reports on how users interact with the Primo discovery system, such as the most popular searches, or the number of times specific facets or devices were used.
- Need Help?
Analytics lets you build reports on your institution’s Alma data (Institution Zone or IZ). You can request reports on Network Zone or NZ data. Read details about the difference in accessing IZ vs. NZ data.
- Navigating Alma Analytics
- Menus, icons, and structure of Analytics
- Demonstrates how to copy and paste a report
- Addresses a few key issues you might encounter
- Covers details about customization and displaying of reports
- Rearranging columns in the compiled report
Analytics 101 – Slides from the 2019 Summer Meeting.
- General overview of Alma Analytics. Including:
- Accessing and structure of Alma Analytics
- Utilizing out-of-the-box analytic reports
- Retrieving and using community reports
- Creating a new analytic report:
- Compiling a report
- Selection of subject area
- Adding criteria
- Adding filters
- Setting rows to add up to totals
- Adding views
- Compiling a report
- Creating a new dashboard, prompts, and adding reports
- Adding Analytic widgets in the Alma interface
Subject Areas – Description of fields including their mappings in Alma and MARC source. Includes a how-to on combining Subject Areas.
Display and Styling – 12 Minute Video
- Editing properties for analysis, tables, and columns
- Including null values in a report
- Hierarchy of columns
- Enabling user interactions across multiple tables
- Styling and setting sizes for tables and columns
- Setting column and data formatting,
- Customizing column headings
- Conditional formatting for rows and columns
Modifying the Look of an Analysis – PDF (July 2016). Changing column heading display; Adding totals to the end of columns; Coloring every other row.
Visualizing Analytics – Turn your reports into graphs and charts.
Dashboard Prompts – 12 Minute Video
Creating a Dashboard Prompt, Widget, & Emails from a Report – Slides from 2019 Summer Meeting session titled Analytics 201.
Loans by Call Number Range – PDF, Kevin Edwards, PCC, (July 2016)
ACRL Canned Reports Updated – Jan. 6, 2021
- Presentation – ACRL Analytics Review with Central Analytics Standing Group (CASG) – Jan. 7 2021
IPEDS Canned Reports Updated: March 17, 2020
Analytics in Action
Analytics in Action Videos – A series of videos created in 2019-2020 about using Analytics to instruct and inspire you!
Index and descriptions of videos.
Alma Analytics Display Network Zone Information by Paul Ojennus, Whitworth University
All items from one barcode – Find all items from a single barcode by using the step feature to retrieve the MMS ID.
Create an Automated Report on Gift Funds – Drill down into various fund transaction types. Work through creating formulas. Remove extraneous text in a column. Create scheduled email reports.
Monitoring Items in a Request Type identify items given the request type Equipment to Withdraw so these items can be withdrawn
Parsing information from the MARC 300 field
Sorting by LC Call Number
Weeding – See examples of using Alma Analytics for weeding projects within the scope of three different scenarios
Analytics for Fun and Profit: Post-CDI Cleanup and Beyond – 53 Min. video
Presentation by CASG Members – Jian Wang (PSU), Caroline Reul (Reed), and Dusty Gorman (Puget Sound) on April 1, 2021.
Ebooks Widget Analytics Report: Can be copied from the Analytics Catalog under /shared/Community/Reports/Consortia/Orbis Cascade Alliance/Analytics Group.
Filter an Analysis Based on Another Analysis – 8 Minute Video McShane 2016
Copy an Analytics report – For backup or for sending to a colleague.
Advanced SQL in Filters and Formulas
Using SQL & Formulas – A short introduction with examples
Helpful Functions and formulas
Analytics 201 – SQL Statements in Oracle Business Intelligence (OBI) – Derive hour, day, etc. from date; date arithmetic; tops, bottoms
Tips and Tricks with SQL – Focuses on time calculations.
CASG Presents: Analytics Trips and Tricks – This presentation on May 10, 2021 focuses on tips and tricks that are useful in most subject areas. The approximate time that the sections starts follows the presenters name. The session covered the following topics:
- Accounting for Lifecycle – Dusty Gorman (University of Puget Sound) 2:23
- Sorting by call number – Dusty Gorman (University of Puget Sound) 3:56
- Preventing row merging – Dusty Gorman (University of Puget Sound) 5:58
- Removing time from a date field – Dusty Gorman (University of Puget Sound) 7:22
- Conditional formatting (plus bins and local parameters) – Caroline Reul (Reed College) 9:11
- Grouping AND and OR in filters – Caroline Reul (Reed College) 15:30
- Sharing analysis via XML – Jian Wang, (Portland State University) 21:30
- Exporting to Excel – formatted v. data – Jian Wang, (Portland State University) 23:44
- CountDistinct – Jian Wang, (Portland State University) 25:39
- Entering SQL Formulas – Nicholas Schockmel (University of Washington) 31:04
- SQL functions for relative date filters – Nicholas Schockmel (University of Washington) 32:55
- SQL CASE function to recode values in results – Nicholas Schockmel (University of Washington) 35:10
- SQL functions to parse strings – Nicholas Schockmel (University of Washington) 38:39
- Creating an Analytics object for reusable code – Nicholas Schockmel (University of Washington) 40:50
- Paste a batch of identifiers into a filter – Nicholas Schockmel (University of Washington) 42:29
- Separating a large report into smaller reports – Nicholas Schockmel (University of Washingto:n) 43:56
- Q&A Session starts – 47:30
Loans Over the Last Three Days – PDF, Bill Kelm, Willamette, (July 2016) Show loans for the past three days using TIMESTAMPADD, making a graph and widget.
Using Two Subject Areas – Slides from Doris Munson July 2016. Modified 2020.
Take advantage of the wide-spread expertise of the hundreds subscribed to the Alma mailing list. To subscribe to the Alma-L list, please visit the following link: https://exlibrisusers.org/listinfo/alma
Feeling shy or need something more complicated? Use our Central Analytics Request Form to privately send in your request.
Have an idea for a shared report? Need a report run in the Network Zone? Need something added to Analytics such as a MARC field? Use the Central Analytics Request Form.