John F. Helmer Professional Development Awards
Xan Arch, University of Portland
Mark Watson, University of Oregon
Orbis Cascade Alliance promotes professional development and engagement in support of our strategic initiatives and was pleased to announce the creation of the John F. Helmer professional development award program in 2017. The current award program supports the efforts to promote collaboration and learning across the Orbis Cascade Alliance.
For example, funding could support a workshop, a one-day symposium, a collaborative learning program associated with the Alliance team structure, or a guest speaker/trainer. Alliance Teams and individuals are encouraged to submit applications. Applications must focus on a project that is in direct alignment with Alliance Strategic Initiatives and that can be accomplished one (1) calendar year after the award announcement in December. Award amounts will not exceed $2000.
All recipients of the award must agree to share the results of the Project with the Board as well as with the Alliance community as appropriate by distribution of documentation, presentation at Council or Board meeting, or at the Annual Summer meeting. The method of results sharing will be determined by project leaders in collaboration with the Board upon receipt of the final project report. Projects are first and foremost to support personnel working in Alliance institutions. If an event or program is planned, it is important to coordinate registration to ensure that Alliance personnel are given sufficient time to register prior to opening an event up to a larger community.
Award funding is allocated for the period of
January 1, 2020 – December 31, 2020.
- To cultivate a strong professional cohort that perpetuates the spirit and practice of collaboration.
- To contribute to the growth of innovative and creative projects associated with the Alliance Teams and strategic agenda.
- To support development of programs, activities, and services that benefit the entire Alliance.
- Submit a complete application by the deadline.
- Preference will be given to projects that demonstrate collaboration and training.
- Projects must support the Strategic Agenda.
- The purpose, content, and impact of the project will be evaluated.
Applications must include and should be organized in the following manner:
- Project Title
- Project Leader(s)
- Project Description
- Connection to the Alliance Strategic Plan
- Marketing and Outreach Plan
- Two (2) Letters of Support
- Applications must include a summary no longer than two (2) pages of the project with learning objectives and outcomes.
- Clearly state the connection to the Alliance strategic plan.
- Provide sufficient documentation for the review committee to understand the project.
- The description should include a timeline for project implementation.
- Include a feasible plan for coordinating the proposed event.
- Include a detailed budget that demonstrates how Alliance funds, not to exceed $2000, would be used. Provide a detailed breakdown of expenses; in-kind support; individuals projected to be paid directly; and individuals projected to be reimbursed.
- Identify the designated Financial Contact and Funds Recipient (one who will make any financial reimbursement/disbursement request and receive funds).
- Standard Alliance travel and expenses policies will apply. Award recipients should try to limit reimbursement to one payment.
- Please note, funding is available after January 1, 2020 and must be expended by December 31, 2020.
Marketing and Outreach Plan
- Please note: While the Alliance e-mail lists can be used to publicize events, the Alliance is not responsible for coordinating the event (booking rooms, registration, etc.).
- Please note, that the projects are first and foremost to support personnel working in Alliance institutions. If an event or program is planned, it is important to coordinate registration to ensure that Alliance personnel are given sufficient time to register prior to opening an event up to a larger community.
Letters of Support
- Include no more than two (2) letters of support, one of which should be from an Alliance Council member.
Agree to prepare a project report for the Board at the end of the project and share results with the Alliance community as appropriate by distribution of documentation, presentation at Council or Board meeting, or at the Annual Summer meeting. This will be determined by project leaders in collaboration with the Board upon receipt of the final project report.
How to Apply
Applications are due November 8, 2019 to the email email@example.com.
Awards will be announced in December, after review by a committee and approval by the Board.
John F. Helmer