Communicate with us!
- Request a Primo PBO Norm Rules Change
- Join the Alliance Norm Rules discussion list, firstname.lastname@example.org, by emailing Elizabeth Duell.
- See the Status of Current Norm Rule Change Requests.
Policies and Best Practices
- Local Fields Best Practices, FAQs, and Tables
- Workflow for Alliance Primo PBO Normalization Rule Development (effective 2015-2021) (PDF)
- New UI Bookmarklet – Record IDs / PNX / Source Record (PDF)
- ShowRecordIDs Bookmarklet (PDF)
- ShowPNX Bookmarklet (PDF)
- Using Alma to isolate norm rule testing records
- Introduction to norm rules:
- Primo Norm Rules 101 (PPTX, October 2020)
- PBO Admin Instructions (Google Drive folder, updated 1/21)
- Alliance locally customized PNX fields (XLSX, updated 3/18)
- Resource Type Documents
The Normalization Rules Standing Group (NRSG) will work under the auspices of the Alliance Shared Content and Technical Services Team. It is composed of staff from Alliance libraries with expertise in discovery and in strong expertise in Alma cataloging and metadata. Outcomes for this working group include:
- Developing expertise in and knowledge of normalization rules, and their relationship to Alma data, to build a base of knowledge in the Alliance
- Modifying normalization rules to improve and provide more options for facets in Primo
- Modifying normalization rules related to display, indexing and searching of Alma data fields in bibliographic records to improve indexing, searching, and in display in Primo
- Developing a repeatable process for creating and updating Primo normalization rules, testing draft changes in the Primo sandbox, and deploying the tested changes to the Primo production environment
- Documenting changes so that the Alliance has a record of what changes have been made and how they have impacted Primo
- Soliciting suggestions from Alliance libraries for improvement to Primo discovery that can be achieved by changes to normalization rules
- Developing processes and recommendations for best practices for managing normalization rules at the installation level