Alliance libraries must use the method given below for creating boundwiths in Alma to ensure linking information is stored in the IZ and immune from overlay. This method supersedes any other method for treating boundwiths suggested by Ex Libris.
- Create a suppressed host bibliographic record in IZ with physical inventory.
- Link constituent title bibliographic records to the NZ with no physical inventory.
- Add a regular (not a local bib extension) 979 boundwith marker to the constituent records: “979 _ _ $$a NZ Boundwith record”
Note: Do not put linking fields (774) into one of the constituent bibliographic records, making it serve as the host record. Using a separate host bibliographic record ensures that the linking information is stored in the IZ and protected from overlay.
Host Bibliographic Records
Create a suppressed host bibliographic record in the IZ with a holdings and item record and 774 fields for the constituent parts of the boundwith. IZ MMSIDs corresponding to constituent titles are input into $w.
245 00 |a Host bibliographic record for boundwith item barcode 39352042894949
774 1_ |t Explosives. |w 99121962760001452
774 1_ |t Injury experience and worktime in the mineral industries. |w 99131004030001452
774 1_ |t Injury experience and worktime in the solid mineral mining industries. |w 99131019370001452
- The title text “Host bibliographic record for boundwith item barcode” is not prescribed – it can be changed if that is desired. However, keep in mind that:
- A consistent and unique title string can provide accurate search and retrieval of host records, and
- The title string will appear on notices sent to patrons for overdue/lost materials and renewal notices.
- Some examples of variations include:
- “Multiple titles bound together with barcode XXXXXX”
- “Series title or cataloger supplied title for piece ; include numbering if applicable : $b Host bibliographic record for boundwith item barcode XXXXXX”
- There is a NZ host bibliographic record template in Alma named “OCA-Boundwiths”. If using this template to create institution host bib records, remember to check under “New > Placement Options” in the Metadata Editor to make sure placement for new records is set to “Local,” which places the new record only in the Institution Zone. Additionally, when using “OCA-Boundwiths”, be sure you are not editing the record template itself, but creating a new record using “New > OCA-Boundwiths”.
Constituent Bibliographic Records
Separate bibliographic records exist in the NZ and IZ for each constituent title, but without holdings and item records.
- Identify an existing NZ record for each constituent title or export one from WorldCat to the NZ.
- Link the NZ record for the constituent title to your IZ.
- Add the boundwith marker “979 _ _ $$a NZ Boundwith record” to the constituent title record.
Related Alliance Documentation
- Identifying and Marking Boundwith Records for Protection in the Network Zone (September 2021)
- Creating a Set of Boundwith Records (September 2021)
Written by: Collaborative Technical Services Team
Approved by: Collaborative Technical Services Team on 12/3/2013, SCTS Team on 10/11/2021.
Last updated: 10/12/2021
Nature of last update: major revision
Document History: Updated on 11/22/2013 for review/approval; Revised on 10/12/2021.