This workshop, its accompanying documentation, and the preparatory and homework assignments, will give you the background and skills you need to remediate CSV data (which may be accessions, MARC records, component-level metadata, or digital objects) to prepare it for a successful import to ArchivesSpace.
Before attending the workshop, please do the following:
- Thoroughly read the CSV Cleanup and Import documentation.
- Complete the preparatory assignment below. It form the basis for 20-30 minutes of discussion in the workshop. Discussion is more fun if everyone is prepared!
- Review the instructions and ground rules, and ensure that you are joining from your own computer and have both a microphone and headphones. The workshop is not a broadcast; it is a discussion.
Use the following sample data set to complete this preparatory assignment:
Using the CSV Cleanup and Import documentation through the end of the “Map Data and Scope Data Cleanup” section, review one of the data sets, identify the issues to address, and write up a data remediation plan using the CSV cleanup/import worksheet. Please make a copy of the worksheet for your work rather than filling in the master copy.
(Please note: The assignment is to create the plan, not to do the cleanup. We will do that in the workshop!)
We will discuss data remediation plans–please anticipate and be prepared for that discussion.
Using a sample (about 50 records) of some CSV data (accessions, MARC, or digital objects) from your institution, do the following:
- Identify the issues
- Write a data remediation plan
- Do the remediation
- Send the plan and the cleaned up data to your instructors
Your instructors will give you written feedback.
Last, please fill out this short evaluation so we can continue to refine and improve this workshop.