The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Standing Group (DEISG) was established upon the recommendation of the Equity Exploratory Committee. DEISG is composed of staff from Alliance member libraries with interest and varying levels of experience with diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) are core values of the Alliance and align with the Alliance’s vision statement of “advancing transformative learning and research and creating equity in higher education.” With these values in mind, the DEISG:
- Models supportive, open, and productive discussion. We acknowledge that DEI work can create uncomfortable experiences and strive to maintain conversational spaces for exploration and growth, with a focus on engagement and dialogue.
- Embraces a broad understanding of DEI, including but not limited to addressing issues affecting race, gender, sexual identity, age, disability, socioeconomic inequities, environmental justice, and human rights. We acknowledge that DEI work is ever-changing and that it is appropriate to pivot to new priorities as they arise.
- Serves as a strong advocate for DEI and anti-racism within the Alliance, while recognizing that DEI and related work is a journey upon which our member institutions are proceeding at different stages.
Proceeding from the statements above, the DEISG:
- Develops and promotes a shared understanding of key terms, concepts, goals, and best practices related to DEI and antiracism.
- Identifies and organizes DEI educational opportunities and tools for Alliance members.
- Maintains awareness of and evaluates relevant trends and developments related to DEI efforts in academic libraries. Makes recommendations to address applicable developments within the Alliance.
- Collaborates with other Alliance groups to achieve DEI-related objectives.
Goals & Deliverables
The DEISG will work toward the following goals and deliverables in FY24 (October 2023 – June 2024):
- Identify and organize anti-racism and DEI training and community-building opportunities.
- Perform ongoing maintenance and improvement of DEI concepts and definitions documents.
- Develop documentation to assist libraries supporting and responding to DEI and anti-racism events.
Projects & Activities
The DEISG is working on the following projects:
- Anti-Racism Training Series: The DEISG identifies and coordinates training opportunities with a goal for inclusive, intersectional anti-racism training to engage Alliance members wherever they are with their DEI and anti-racism practices. Training opportunities will address different learning styles and topic familiarity while incorporating community elements.
- DEI Key Terms and Concepts: Just as our understanding of diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism grows and expands, the definitions on these pages will change and adapt to reflect continual learning. As such, these definitions will never be “final.”