The Ebook Standing Group (ESG) operates under the auspices of the Alliance Shared Content & Technical Services (SCTS) Team. It is composed of staff from Alliance libraries with expertise and interest in oversight of the Alliance-wide shared ebook program, the Alliance Program Manager, Shared Content, and the Alliance E-Resources Specialist.
ESG meets regularly to discuss new and ongoing programs. The Group is composed of a Chair, and 5-7 other members from Alliance libraries and 2 Alliance staff. Representatives from Alliance libraries serve a two-year term.
ESG members are charged with:
- Reviewing usage statistics of current ebook and streaming media plans.
- Liaising with ebook program vendors to facilitate the gathering of available data related to Alliance ebook plans.
- Using statistical data and collections expertise to select perpetual access titles as needed.
- Participating in RFPs to select vendors for new ebook programs and purchasing models
- Communicating assessments or other recommendations to the Program Manager, Shared Content who will then present to the Executive Director and Alliance governance as needed.
- Assessment of the Alliance ebook program, including:
- Breadth of content.
- Accessibility concerns.
- Appropriateness of purchasing models.
- Equity across Alliance institutions.
Chair responsibilities include:
- Scheduling, setting agendas, and facilitating meetings as needed.
- Reporting to the SCTS community during Open Calls.
Background & History
The Orbis Cascade Alliance’s E-book Program was launched as a pilot in July 2011. Initially the E-book Working Group was established as a subset of the Shared Content Team to provide leadership and oversight for the program. Since then, it has became a sustained part of the consortium. The E-book Standing Group (ESG) operates under the auspices of the Shared Content & Technical Services (SCTS) Team.
ESG members examine all components of the e-book program, such as business and access models, usage statistics, and purchasing patterns. They use this information to work effectively with content partners to maximize the benefit of the program to Alliance members