- Anne Jenner, University of Washington (Chair)
- Steve Duckworth, Oregon Health & Science University
- Ashlyn Velte, University of Idaho
- Jodi Allison-Bunnell, Orbis Cascade Alliance
Type of Group and General Comments
Implement Creative Commons licenses for finding aids in Archives West.
Outcomes to Produce
- Identify possible Creative Commons (CC) licenses for finding aids in Archives West
- Provide documentation to members for standards going forward (as update to the Alliance’s EAD Best Practices)
- Contribute to implementation of recommendations by surveying member institutions about preferred CC licenses
- Answer questions and address any concerns about the project and its outcomes
[Note: Staff will work with A&M participants to choose/globally apply the CC licenses and modify the AW stylesheet so they are visible]
Level of Decision-Making Authority
Background and Context
The 2016-2017 Task Force and EAD Database Working Group explored how to encode rights statements (for the archival metadata) into archival finding aids.
This was a follow-up to a session at SAA 2016 in Atlanta about ‘open metadata’ and the article ‘Time to Open Up: The Why and How of Opening Up Archival Finding Aids and the Unintended Consequences of Being Closed’ (by Merrilee Proffitt and Heather Briston) in March/April 2016 issue of Archival Outlook.
The TF made recommendations and EAD DB WG refined and clarified the recommendations in order to share with Archives & Manuscripts members in May 2017.
Number of Members Needed
3-4 Note: This group is open to both Alliance members and non-Alliance members who participate in the Archives & Manuscripts Collections Service
Group members should have one or more of the following:
- Knowledge of Creative Commons licenses
- Familiarity with work of predecessor group and national conversations
- Experience with creative and coordinated outreach and information dissemination strategies in order to introduce and implement a set of Creative Commons licenses for finding aids of all A&M Collections Service participating institutions.
Also, see the chart on the Team and Group Structure page for overall expectations of all Alliance group members.