Wiley Online Library: UBCM (March 2016-March 2020)
Wiley and the Alliance agreed to test an EBA model called Usage Based Collection Management (UBCM) for buying Wiley Online Library e-books. All Alliance library patrons will receive access to more than 19,000 titles on the Wiley Online Library platform. Wiley provides yearly usage reports, which helps the Alliance determine which titles to acquire at the end of the year using funds deposited at the beginning of the pilot year.
The first year of the pilot ran from May 2016 through April 2017. At the end of FY 2017, the Alliance purchased 536 Wiley ebooks after analyzing individual institution usage, broadly used, and overall highly used titles. The second year of the pilot began in May 2017 and will be funded on the FY 2018 budget. GOBI Library Solutions has been a partner through Year 4.
- Devotes 100% of funds to purchasing titles
- Provides front- and back-list title access with no DRM.
- Alliance will own selected titles.
- Complete list of UBCM purchases from program years 2016-2020 (XLSX)
- UBCM License (DOCX)
- UBCM Appendix (PDF)
Wiley Online Library: Frontlist (2020- )
Beginning with imprint year 2020, the Alliance switched from a “usage-based” selection model to a front list purchase model. With usage data affirming that the consortium was continuing to see high usage in previously selected titles and starting to make selections from the “long tail,” the Alliance transitioned to a front list purchase model. In this new model, the consortium will purchase the entire output for each imprint year it participates in. Because of this change, all UBCM selections were made from imprint year 2019 or earlier to avoid redundant purchasing.
- Devotes 100% of funds to purchasing titles
- Provides access to frontlist and purchased backlist titles with no DRM.
- Alliance will own entire imprint year.
- Frontlist License Appendix (PDF)
Wiley Online Library Plan Summaries (by Year)
- 2017 Summary (PDF)
- 2018 Summary (PDF)
- Wiley Plan Assessment 2020-21: Executive Summary (PDF)
- Wiley Plan Assessment 2020-21: Full Report (Google Sheets)
- Titles Selected for Perpetual Ownership in Year 1 (Mar 2016-17) (XLSX)
- Titles Selected for Perpetual Ownership in Year 2 (Mar 2017-18) (XLSX)
- Titles Selected for Perpetual Ownership in Year 3 (Mar 2018-19) (XLSX)
- Compiled UBCM Selections Years 1-4 (2016-20) plus DDA purchases (Basic list, XSLX)
- Download a current title list from Wiley Online Library
- Complete Statistics, 2017-2019 (XLSX)
- May 2018 Program statistics (May 2018-May 2019) (XLSX)
- March 2017 Institutional Report (May-February use) (Google Drive Folder)
Wiley “Obook” (online book) purchase offer (July 2020)
All Orbis Cascade Alliance Libraries are now receiving full ownership of all Wiley 2020 Obook titles. Back-list is no longer included. To help with back-list access we have prepared the following offers, including access only, UBCM (all access, with entire amount of spend applied to ownership) and Wiley tokens. Back-List special offers:
- Libraries with FTE under 2,500
- Receive all WOL back-list Obook titles (access-only) $2,000.00
- Receive all WOL back-list Obook tities under UBCM model with access + spend fee toward purchase titles $3,000.00
- Libraries with FTE under 10,000
- Receive all WOL back-list Obook titles (ACCESS ONLY) $3,500.00
- Receive all WOL back-list Obook tities under UBCM model with access + spend fee toward purchase titles $5,000.00
- Libraries with FTE 10,000-20,000
- Receive all WOL back-list Obook titles (ACCESS ONLY) $7,000.00
- Receive all WOL back-list Obook tities under UBCM model with access + spend fee toward purchase titles $8,500.00
- Libraries with FTE 20,000+
- Receive all WOL back-list Obook titles (ACCESS ONLY) $10,000
- Receive all WOL back-list Obook tities under UBCM model with access + spend fee toward purchase titles $11,500.00
Wiley tokens are a great way to get the content you need, based on demand. Similar to STL access, tokens provide instant access to WOL content without having to make rush purchases. Tokens give you control over purchase options. Orbis Cascade Alliance special tokens discounts:
|Tokens||Discount||Library Cost||List Price||Savings|
|100||10%||$34.20 ea = $3,420||$3,800||-$380|
|250||25%||$28.50 ea = $7,125||$9,500||-$2,375|
|500||40%||$22.80 ea = $11,400||$19,000||-$7,600|
|750||55%||$17.10 ea = $12,825||$28,500||-$15,675|
|1,000||60%||$15.20 ea = $15,200||$38,000||-$22,800|
|1,250||65%||$13.30 ea = $16,625||$47,500||-$30,875|