Personnel Committee Charge and Membership
The Personnel Committee is responsible for:
- Providing the Board of Directors with recommendations and input into the recruitment, compensation, and evaluation of performance of the Alliance Executive Director;
- Reviewing and approving updates and revisions to human resources policies and procedures for Alliance employees to ensure that best practices and compliance with applicable laws and regulations;
- Advising and supporting Alliance staff in establishing recruitment and retention goals and metrics;
- Receiving and facilitating the arbitration of Alliance employee grievances in cases where the employee has exhausted the process described in the employee policy handbook and Code of Conduct, or where an employee reports directly to the Executive Director;
- In consultation with the ED, directing and maintaining a process for the handling of claims of mismanagement against Alliance employees, including but not limited to acts of fraud, illegal or improper use of Alliance funds, harassment, or discrimination; and
- In consultation with the ED, directing the Alliance response to legal claims from or against Alliance employees.
For avoidance of doubt, the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors is separately responsible for:
- Reviewing and approving benefits packages for eligible Alliance central staff
- Reviewing and approving salary scales for Alliance central staff
Membership of the Personnel Committee consists of: the Chair of the Board of Directors, the Chair-Elect of the Board of Directors, and the Past Chair of the Board of Directors.
The Committee works under Board-approved procedures for handling grievances and reports of mismanagement; contracting and consulting with external arbitrators and legal counsel; and handling and retaining personnel documentation. The Committee maintains a directory of external consultants in the areas of human resources, insurance, and legal affairs and acts in concert with these consultants as needed to ensure personnel actions and decisions are aligned with law and best practice.
Approved by Board of Directors: October 21, 2021