You've assessed the readiness of your metadata and have developed ideas of what your institution is going to prioritize for cleanup. How will you use OpenRefine to enrich creator/contributor and format metadata? The workshop, its preparatory assignment, and its follow-up assignment, will equip you to make these decisions.
Then, please complete the following preparations:
- Choose one of the reconciliation methods described in the documentation:
- LoC Reconciliation Service (creators and contributors)
- Conciliator (creators and contributors)
- RDF extension for Getty Art & Architecture Thesaurus (genre)
- RDF extension for Library of Congress Subject Headings (subjects)
- Add the chosen reconciliation service to OpenRefine
- Download this sample set
- Use the chosen reconciliation service to reconcile metadata values in the sample set. Need a refresher on OpenRefine functionality? Please refer to OpenRefine for Metadata Cleanup.
- The workshop is discussion-based is so much more worthwhile if everyone is prepared.
- Review the instructions and ground rules, and ensure that you are joining fromyour own computer and have both a microphone and headphones. The workshop is not a broadcast; it is a discussion.
- Choose an OAI-PMH set from your own institution
- In the Alliance Harvester:
- Enrich creators/contributors with VIAF URIs
- Enrich genres to Getty AAT URIs
- Send your instructors an email about your experience by June 1.
Supported in part with a grant awarded by the Oregon Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) program of the Oregon State Library.