This workshop focuses on the building blocks of any standards-compliant archival description: forming according to Describing Archives: A Content Standard, 2nd Edition.
Before attending the workshop, please do the following:
- Review the documentation:
- Guide to the Carita Gertrude Smith Papers (we'll use this throughout the series)
- The list of required DACS elements
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard, 2nd Edition, particularly the list of required and optimum elements
- Ensure that you have these materials on hand during the workshop
- Watch this eight-minute video:
- Complete the preparatory assignment below. It form the basis for discussion in the workshop. Discussion is more fun if everyone is prepared!
- Review the instructions and ground rules, and ensure that you are joining from your own computer and have both a microphone and headphones. The workshop is not a broadcast; it is a discussion.
Select a finding aid from your institution to work with throughout the series. An old or incomplete one is ideal; please do not use one that's already in Archives West. You'll use this finding aid for your homework assignments throughout the series.
Be prepared to say a few things about the finding aid you selected during the first session.
- Using the finding aid from your institution, and The list of required DACS elements, and identify those elements. If there are elements missing, make a note of that.
- Have an electronic version (e.g. marked up Word document, marked up by hand and scanned). You do not need to email this to the instructor ahead of time.
- We will call on up to two people to present their homework in Workshop #2