The Technical Services Working Group reviews and maintains policies on this page. Any requests for revisions or exceptions should be submitted in writing to TSWG for review.
Bibliographic Record Policies
The Alliance Council first adopted bibliographic record mandates in November 2011, to facilitate the implementation of a shared library system. The policies below have been revised for the Alma/Primo environment. They are designed to meet national standards and best practices while facilitating work in a shared system. The policies are intended for use in the Alma Network Zone (NZ) and Primo; they do not apply to metadata in systems that do not interact with Alma or Primo. The policies are meant to be used with approved and published operational policies.
The policies are presented starting with the most broad (foundational) and moving logically through to those with a more narrow scope:
Alma Operational Policies
The Alma Operational policies serve to protect Alma's database integrity and consistency.
- Bound-withs (December 2013)
- Cataloging of Titles on Electronic Readers (January 2017) - NEW
- Contributing Collections to the CZ (April 2017) - NEW
- CZ Activation for Ebrary Academic Complete Subscription (October 2016)
- Language of Cataloging (October 2016)
- In-Process Brief Bibliographic Records (October 2016)
- Use of the "Do not override/merge a non-brief record with a brief version" Flag in Alma Import Profiles (August 2016)
- Syncing IZ & NZ Brief Levels for Bibliographic Records (September 2016)
- Numeric Character References (October 2016)
- Minimum Acquisitions Data (October 2016)
- Sharing Import Profiles (February 2016)
- Suppression of Records for Physical Inventory (December 2014)
- Retaining and Deleting MARC Fields in OCLC Records (October 2016)
- Finding Aid Links in MARC Records (March 2017) - NEW
- Adding missing ISBNs to existing WorldCat Master Records (December 2013)
- Overlay in Alma (December 2014)
- Overlaying Brief Bibs in the Network Zone (December 2014)
- Network Zone Record Deletion - Import profiles (June 2014)
- Deleting bare Network Zone Records from an IZ (August 2016)
- Working in Alma and the Network Zone (August 2014)
Procedures, Workflows, & FAQs
- Alliance NZ Bib Records with Multiple OCLC Numbers FAQ (February 2016)
- Alma Indication Rules FAQ (March 2016)
- Alma Originating System Version (February 2016)
- Automatic loading of WorldShare Collection (September 2016)
- Creating a Set of Boundwith Records (December 2015)
- Guidelines for Editing PCC (Program for Cooperative Cataloging) Bibs in WorldCat (September 2016)
- Overlay in Alma (December 2014)
- Publishing Bibs to OCLC (September 2015)
- YBP workflows
- Loading Approval Records into NZ (September 2016)
- Loading Brief Order Records into NZ: Creating Import Profiles to Load Vendor Order Records (September 2016)
- Loading WCP Records into Network Zone, including Shelf Ready (September 2016)
See Normalization Rules Standing Group page including the Policies and Best Practices and the Document tabs.
NZ Account Configuration & Procedures
- Alma Brief Record Level Configuration (June 2016)
- Alma Daily Bib Record Updates & OCLC WorldShare Collection Manager (August 2016)
- Alma Merge Rules in the NZ Account (June 2016)
- Alma OCA Normalize Process (July 2016)
- BoundWith Bibliographic Template (.doc) - University of Oregon (February 2017) - NEW
- Creating BoundWiths in Alma (.doc) - University of Oregon (February 2017) - NEW
- Fixing broken boundwith links in migrated records (.doc) - Eastern Washington University (April 2016)
- When to create a new bibliographic record (.doc) - Western Washington University (June 2016)
Problems and Questions
Network Zone Problems & Questions Form - Use this form to report problems with Network Zone records or processes.
For deletions and incorrectly merged bibliographic records contact Karen Highum (UW)
For questions regarding technical services policies, contact TSWG Chair Linda Crook (LCC) or Alliance Program Manager Jesse Holden.
The SILS Docs site (password protected) provides the most detailed information about institutional practice and workflow.
Last updated: 12/28/2017