Left Menu Right Menu

APPROVED MINUTES

Shared Content Team Meeting with Institutional Representatives
Alliance Summer Meeting, Portland, Warner Pacific College
9am - July 9, 2015
Notetakers: Corey Murata and Gordon Aamot

Introduction


The SCT Chair, Mike Olson, welcomed the group and led a round of brief introductions. He then briefly described the current SCT goals and its relationship with the Council and other teams and its role in Alliance governance. The SCT began meeting in March 2015 and has so far focused on two areas. The Team was asked by the Council to advise it on the ramifications of not renewing the Alliance”s consortial membership in WEST. Jim Bunnelle was invited to join the discussions as a resource person and the group drafted a memo to the Council outlining the impacts of dropping the consortial membership and recommending that member libraries consider initiating their own institutional memberships. The Ebook Working Group also devoted considerable time and energy to adjusting the parameters of the DDA program to ensure that it stayed within the amount budgeted for FY2015.

Discussion

Prior to the summer meeting, SCT sent out a survey of potential discussion topics to Institutional Reps to gauge their interest and help establish the agenda. Mike showed a slide summarizing the results, from most interest to least interest:•    Future direction of shared content in the Alliance
•    Ebook programs and the future of ebooks in the Alliance
•    Central record management in Alma, including its relationship to the Alliance eresources services
•    Data / analytics for shared content
•    Collaborative collection development priorities
•    Shared open access management
•    Distributed print repository: Shared Content Team”s decision not to expand it
•    WEST and shared print repositories

A wide ranging discussion followed Mike”s opening remarks.

Ebook Programs and the future of ebooks in the Alliance


Serin Anderson led a discussion of the future of the Alliance ebook program and the work of the Ebook Working Group. Serin is stepping down as Chair, and new Chair will be appointed. Long-time member Linda DiBiase is also rotating off the group. Finished the year with $26,000 left in budget. Will roll it over into the new fiscal year.

Asked ProQuest to improve metadata. July release has updated metadata (PQ metadata). Not tested yet, but should be better.

Semi-annual removal of titles from Ebrary. Trying to improve the clean-up process. ExL metadata has been updated but not confirmed that the deleted titles were removed. Kathi will check. ExL is working on an automated process to update the removed titles.

Kathi asked about communication regarding ebook program changes and what kind of updates the Reps would like. Updates are currently sent to the Institutional Reps email list. More lead time about titles being removed would more useful for local purchasing decisions. Suggestions also included sending a list sortable by call number/subject. The overall sentiment was that the group would like to receive more regular reports about the status of the ebook program.

The Ebook Working Group met with the Assessment Team last year to talk about what data is available the Assessment Team”s goals. The EBWG with work with the Assessment Team re: cost/benefit of the shared ebook program.

Serin highlighted progress made last year:

Now have centralized management of records for DDA titles

Have a walk-in user policy – posted on the SCT pages on the OCA website. Each institution is responsible for implementing and managing its own walk-in program. ProQuest is working on a guest walk-in procedure w/ another university, may bode well for us.

The ebook market changes all the time. It”s important to have an overarching framework for future Alliance decisions about ebooks. The Alliance has an overall goal of improving the percentage of budget dedicated to purchase. Serin asked the group for their opinions on the relative value of ebook ownership vs access. Comments included:

  • Prefer purchase, but Academic Complete provided content that was used more
  • Purchase question tied to fluctuating title list an ongoing access to titles on the title list
  • Optics of subscriptions vs purchasing and how that is presented to campus leadership
  • Could we tie our purchase trigger in some way with the relative importance of the content to the “core” of the discipline
  • Are there subject areas where access is sufficient (i.e. business literature) and others where purchase is preferred (i.e. humanities) that we can tailor our purchases to fit this
  • Should think about the idea of a “core” collection at the Alliance level
  • There will continue to be a need to balance purchase vs. access. May need to look at other options for desired content i.e. University Press or publisher titles.

Communication between SCT and Institutional Representatives

  • The idea of having conference calls with Reps as the occasion demanded was suggested. Kathi asked what types of discussions would work well for an open call?
    • Philosophical question about strategic direction we are heading? – phone call best
    • Responding to concrete questions? – email sufficient
  • Do people want to know the detailed information during the process? Detail needed for decision making and to explain to our institutions would be sufficient.
The SCT updates that Kathi mails out are useful in order to share with institutions. She cited other alliance email reports as examples and said future emails may include contributions from SCT working groups.
There was some discussion of Alliance email lists and their uses. Is it OK to use the SCT Representative list for general questions from members to other members? Do we want a larger SCT Community list that can be open to more people for informational purposes?

Central record management in Alma

Kathi led the discussion. Now that all Alliance libraries have migrated there”s a strong desire to leverage the Network Zone. A good place to start is with license records. SCT will form a Working Group consisting of several SCT members plus other Alliance staff to start working on this. Those interested in volunteering for the group should let Kathi know.

There are opportunities for using the NZ acquisitions system, but to date it has not been used by anyone. Would like Alliance to use Alma for e-resources workflow and permit libraries to place orders through the Alliance. All of Kathi”s work with eresources and member libraries has been conducted via email. Kathi reminded the group the any NZ acquisitions work done would necessarily be limited to Alliance members.

Lots of questions about who does the work. What can we do collectively? License management holds some promise. Licenses are central to the idea of a shared system, working collaboratively, and doing the work just once. She thinks we should move forward and get started.

Other potential areas to work on?

Analyzing cost per use data for Alliance subscriptions .

Minimum number of copies. Should it be the same for all subject areas? Number for Literature may be different than number for Nursing.

Analysis of shared print collection. What and where are the specific collection strengths? What are the parts of collective collection most requested by other libraries (institutional vs Summit use).

There”s a need for training, especially Analytics? Best practice documentation would be helpful? Should we do a survey on training needs?

Last thoughts

Kathi reminded the attendees that she”s looking for a few volunteers to test Alma licensing, acquisitions and electronic resources management in the Network Zone.



Meeting adjourned at 10:30am