Left Menu Right Menu

APPROVED MINUTES



Shared Content Team Meeting
Alliance Summer Meeting, Portland, Warner Pacific College
10:45am – July 9, 2015
Notetakers: Corey Murata and Gordon Aamot

Present: Gordon Aamot (University of Washington), Serin Anderson (St. Martin”s University), Amy Coughenour (Concordia University), Jill Emery (Portland State University), Kathi Carlisle Fountain (Program Manager, Orbis Cascade Alliance), Tina Hovekamp (Council Liaison, Central Oregon Community College), Kris Kern (Portland State University), Corey Murata (University of Washington), Mike Olson (Chair, Western Washington University)


1) Mike asked the group to share their takeaways from discussions at the 2015 Alliance Summer meeting and to think about compiling SCT agendas and action items for the coming year.

WEST

From the WEST session came the idea of an environmental scan to identify peoples” needs regarding shared storage. If we survey members about needs, we should also consider asking about their willingness to contribute financially. Our question about whether we should consider revisiting the idea of an Alliance shared print storage facility got some pushback. We were just testing the idea and tried to assure the attendees that there are no plans to do anything of this nature.

Interested in revising/revisiting last copy threshold. Had insufficient reports from OCLC. Needed to wait until migration and see what we can do with shared analytics for moving forward. Time frame for decisions still about a year out because of COE work and figuring out what we can pull and determine what we can do with it. Kathi agreed. We previously relied on GOBI acquisitions data. Also important in analyzing electronic vs. print.

New tools are becoming available. CARL in Colorado has developed a tool they”ll sell to other consortia. The University of Sheffield in the UK also created an analysis tool to look at p and e overlap. Occam's Reader also should be looked at. If more publishers sign on, it could help the address the tension between move to e and the underlying philosophy of shared collections.

Mike said he received some very specific questions about WEST after the session. To whom should they be referred?

  • Linda DiBiase (UW) and Jim Bunnelle (Lewis and Clark) are both on WEST operations council.
  • Specific technical questions (for example, the mechanics of pulling out of WEST and institutional commitments) should go to WEST directly.

NZ Licenses

Serin asked about the timing for NZ licenses. Is it possible to do something in the next year? Kathi suggested a basic process and timeline, based on the realities of getting anything in the Alliance done that involves a lot of busy volunteers.

  • Do pilot during the coming year
  • Identify 3-4 core individuals to do the work and 3-4 more institutions for testing Primo display
  • Look at participants in the ejournal packages managed by the alliance – Sage, Springer, Wiley, Cambridge, Oxford, DDA
  • Share the UW documentation that was discussed at the Licensing presentation yesterday. Use it as a starting point.

Analysis of Collections

Who”s responsible? Is it SCT or Assessment? Part of our charge is to think about how we want to assess collections determining what we want to know.

  • Consider what are the assessment outcomes that we want to see
  • What do our shared collections do to serve our students?
  • If our outcome is to make our collective shared content accessible to our students, how do we determine that?
  • Method for measuring intensity of use, comparing holdings to use by area
  • P vs E overlap and which is serving our students better - Summit activity with e duplicate?
  • Also important to provide clear concise interpretation of the data to provide context. Use does not necessarily translate to impact, may lead to confirmation bias. May need to match qualitative with the quantitative data.
  • Re: research intensive collections, value is not necessarily reflected in current use statistics. Research collections have additional responsibility to purchase/preserve for the future. What are we willing to invest in?

Evaluate Summit data to determine collections that may not be important to the institution but may be important to the alliance. Example for meeting with Reps – Willamette”s pastoral studies collection is in remote storage and seldom used by Willamette users, but titles are frequently requested by other Alliance libraries users.

Moved from purchase decision on an individual level to the aggregate purchase for the DDA collection. The skillset is different from our existing skillset. Discussed idea of repurposing a portion of the ebooks budget to hire a Collection Analyst. Need for someone with a high level of analytic skills and time to focus on the work to effectively collect and study the data. Kathi asked if we knew of anyone currently on staff within the Alliance who might have that skill set. The following people were mentioned: Dave Fowler (UO); Rick Stoddard (Idaho); Kate Cabe (WWU).

Heard lots of requests for the Alliance to put together a suite of best practice documents. For example, could someone create one LibGuide describing ebook platforms? Or something for streaming media?

CWT responsible for shared documentation. Two platforms are currently under discussion – current website and Google Docs.

ILL and Occam”s Reader

Could we work out an inter-consortial agreement with GWLA?

Kathi is very interested in an Alliance model license. What”s acceptable, what are the deal breakers? Hopefully we could adapt a version from GWLA, California Digital License, or another group and not have to start from scratch.
   

Wrap-up

Mike acknowledged that Kirsten is rotating off of SCT and Serin is stepping down as Chair of the Ebook Working Group and thanked them for their service.

At this point, there are no regular SCT meetings scheduled for rest of the summer. Mike will get back to the group about a future schedule.