Left Menu Right Menu


Index of Meetings


2:00 PM, March 29th, 2016

Participants (please bold as you come in):  

Jesse Thomas, E.J. Carter, Lesley Lowery (minutes), Stephanie Michel, Jennifer Ward (out),  Dena Hutto, Kelly Peterson-Fairchild, Lori Hilterbrand, Ray Henry, Rob Bohall


Agenda:


  1. Review actions from last meeting -

    1. Follow ups from open call are underway; also today’s discussions cover these items.

  2. Summer Meeting (Ray)

    1. Summer Meeting Committee is working out the details

    2. Tentative for week of 7/11/16.  (multiple days) at Warner Pacific College (same as last year).

    3. Time needed for Summit, training, other specific needs.  Ray is sending along those requests to the committee.  Send requests for time blocks like this to Ray so she can coordinate this.  

    4. Also let Ray know if you want to coordinate / lead / present a session.

    5. Primo for reference and instruction was a topic that garnered lots of interest (at yesterday’s open call) for a Summer meeting session.  Ray has asked for a panel / round table discussion on this, but it’s not formally-defined.  No one has stepped up to lead a formal discussion, despite good attendance at recent Primo teaching events (PRIM, etc.)

      1. Subset of D&DT should reach out to ref & instruction folks to get a panel together and coordinate a formal session.  Dena and Stephanie will do this.

      2. Another suggestion on the call for this was a “buddy system” (e.g., librarian + systems tech.)  Librarian says “I’d like to do this.”  Systems tech says “Here’s how.”

  3. Whitworth Trainings (Ray and Jesse)

    1. Meeting tomorrow at 11 on Whitworth training.  Summit, resource sharing, fulfillment, intro to Primo administration.  Details on who will go and what will be done are still being worked out.

    2. Ray has contacted Rose Carlson (Reed)  to give Primo training.

    3. Fulfillment is generally locally-configured and doesn’t affect / isn’t affected by Alliance issues.  Default Ex Libris training may be sufficient for this - if Whitworth folks have already looked at these videos, their questions will inform the training Lori conducts.

  4. Alma Release on Premium Sandbox (Jesse)

    1. We encountered some problems with WWU’s Primo sandbox yesterday. Lesley submitted a case about it (#211919). I’m not sure if she has received any updates from ExL yet, but we’ve managed to find a workaround that allows us to test some of the new features coming in April.

      1. Lesley says: No updates on this yet, but Ray has added comments to link this to the related UW case (SF#211872).  Kate Deibel reported the same problem with UW’s Alma sandbox.

      2. Ray has also emailed Matt and Alon at Ex Libris on this.  We’re going to let Support have a stab at this before we consider escalation.

    2. I’ve reached out to several people to get their assessment of the new bookings (Chelle/Kate) and reserve (Jay Brewster, PCC) features. Lori, have you had a chance to read through the release notes yet? Any thoughts about the fulfillment stuff? I’m still waiting to hear back from people. If it works out, I’d like to also have them share their thoughts on our delivery open call on Thursday.

      1. Booking workflow - paging is great, but it looks like the paging step doesn’t generate a slip until the booking window opens.  So the paging will come too late.  Needs testing!  Adding a preview window will start the workflow earlier, and would provide a workaround if this is true.

    3. Auto-reject is potentially problematic.  Testing involves lots of very specific scenarios, and the WG is working to test as completely as possible - seeking feedback from ExL during tomorrow’s meeting.

    4. QA environment evaluation: hard to judge effectiveness until production install.  

  5. Alliance News Items to Ray - 4pm today is the deadline!

    1. Keep in mind that this is the only source for D&DT and WG info for some folks who don’t subscribe to the lists.

  6. Assessment Plan (Rob)


  1. Charges are to evaluate how the alliance benefits members; and to provide counsel/data to the board to inform decision-making.  Specific objectives are outlined in the strategic agenda.  Is there anything else we should be measuring?  Primo usability for example--how can this be evaluated?  

  2. The targets are still preliminary and can be adjusted.  We can make edits on the document itself.  

    1. Norm Rules: Knowledge measure is tricky - satisfaction is easier to measure (via a survey).  Maybe measure “ease of access” to documentation and workflow information?  Does new NRWG process create improved stakeholder engagement?  Understanding / engagement need to be tracked over time.  

      1. Suggestions for knowledge/engagement have been added to the spreadsheet.

      2. Get rid of “efficiency measure - it’s hard to use time to measure this effectively, so get rid of this objective.

    2. Primo release testing

      1. It’s hard to get staff at institutions to participate if they don’t want to or aren’t engaged in the process.  We’ll leave this for now so that Stephanie can participate in drafting suggested changes.

    3. PBO use

      1. Broaden this to include Primo as well?  Should product usability (which isn’t really under Alliance control) be the measure?  PBO is also a shared item with Systems Team.

  3. Sub-groups will meet on call with Rob to formulate objectives and measures surrounding Summit and Primo release testing.

  1. WG updates (moved to next week’s meeting)

  • Reports should focused on highlights and questions, since most details are well-documented on the agenda.

  1. Norm Rules (Lesley)

    1. Upcoming ExL work on small sandbox is okay to proceed 4/18-21.

    2. Upcoming (“future release”) Alma Headings Enrichment feature changes were discussed.

    3. Document migration from SILS site continues.

    4. NRWG would like to link to their Trello board for active requests from the NRWG site.  This will make the request workflow a bit more transparent, and allow anyone to see (but not edit!) where their requests or their institution’s requests are in the NRWG workflow, among other benefits.

      1. Lesley can provide some introductory documentation for those unfamiliar with Trello.  The NRWG can also advertise this on the lists to create awareness.

      2. Any feedback / suggestions from D&DT?

  2. Primo Release Testing (Stephanie)

    1. Nothing to report.

  3. Summit 3 COE (Jesse)

    1. I’m compiling a list of potential members for the Summit WG. Does anyone on this team have any suggestions? Is this something we need to discuss internally first, or can I start putting out feelers to gauge interest?

    2. I’m currently revisiting the Summit Circulating Materials spreadsheet that we generated a while back (but never posted on the website due to a lack of creative follow through on my part). I will have the Summit processors at each institution review this list one last time and then hopefully we can make it accessible to everyone in the coming weeks.

    3. I also went back and edited all our previous Summit WG agendas and forwarded those to Ray this morning for posting on the our WG website.

    4. Kate Cabe, Heidi Nance, and I had drafted a document a couple months ago assessing the current state of this Summit COE initiative. Ray has since revised that document into a more manageable/comprehensible format. We will be reviewing this with the other Summit WG members next week with an eye on posting it to the D&D website shortly thereafter.

2:00 PM, March 22nd.  2016

Participants (please bold as you come in):  

Jesse Thomas, E.J. Carter (minutes),  Lesley Lowery, Stephanie Michel, Jennifer Ward,  Dena Hutto, Kelly Peterson-Fairchild, Lori Hilterbrand, Ray Henry, Rob Bohall


Agenda:


  1. Review actions from last meeting -

  2. Team structure/recruiting new Team and WG members - timeline and nomination process?

  3. https://www.orbiscascade.org/team-structure/

    1. Follow-up from last week

    2. Staggered membership timeline--Kelly and E.J.”s terms are expiring; Jesse will become chair.  Will need to recruit new members.

    3. We have a maximum of 8, to ensure both diversity and manageability.  The fact that we cover both Discovery and Delivery might be a reason to have more people (currently Lori covers fulfillment and Jesse Summit).  Do we need to resplit Discovery and Delivery?  

    4. Recruitment: no clearly defined terms of service in CoE/Summit; some have been on the group for 3 or 4 years and would probably like to cycle off.  

  4. What are the responsibilities of the D&D Reps?

    1. Follow-up from last week: write up something more formally on responsibilities?  We also need a current list of reps at each institution--could clarify both of these in the same email.  Many people are still unclear whether they are a rep or not--this should be cleared up in advance of the Summer Meeting.

  5. Documentation Center Update (Ray)

  1. Ready to move existing documentation over.  Access can be granted to someone from NRWG, PRTWG etc.  

  2. Versioning: will there be a way to date things?  Yes: we”ll have to establish some kind of protocol.  Ray will clarify with Cassie.  You can”t tag documents though.  

  1. Assessment Plan (Rob)


  1. Charges are to evaluate how the alliance benefits members; and to provide counsel/data to the board to inform decision-making.  Specific objectives are outlined in the strategic agenda.  Is there anything else we should be measuring?  Primo usability for example--how can this be evaluated?  

  2. We”ll take a week to look these over and think about them; Rob will join us next week.

  3. The targets are still preliminary and can be adjusted.  We can make edits on the document itself.  

  1. WG updates

  • Reports should focused on highlights and questions, since most details are well-documented on the agenda.

  1. Norm Rules (Lesley)

    1. NR rollout was a success.  No problems have been reported to date.

    2. Migration of documents from old SILS NRWG site will start soon.

  2. Primo Release Testing (Stephanie)

    1. Nothing to report

  3. Summit 3 COE (Jesse)

    1. Premium sandbox update - resource sharing configuration

      1. We met with Chen yesterday to walk through the instructions he sent us about how to fix the resource sharing settings in the wake of the Whitworth renorm (and future renorms).

      2. We were NOT able to re-establish the NZ connection needed to distribute Summit requests

      3. Ex Libris has forwarded this to development for immediate review

      4. It”s important that we restore this sandbox functionality before the April release hits the sandbox next week.

    2. Rota update

      1. The new rota went into effect last week. It seems to have gone smoothly (thank you Ray!!). No libraries have reported any disruption of service. We may want to touch base with the libraries that moved the most in the coming weeks to see how they”re coping.

    3. Archiving Summit WG agendas on D&D website

      1.  Jesse will review this


Additions from D&D Team Members

  1. Concern about sending important info (such as recent Primo Enhancement voting) to a single institutional representative. (Stephanie)

  2. PSI call with Ex Libris on Thursday (3/24)

    1. There are several fulfillment topics on the agenda, one involving open/closed locations and another involving how the locate process breaks down in certain scenarios involving non-requestable items.

  3. Primo NERS process

    1. Request for more information on process.

2:00 PM, March 15th.  2016


Participants (please bold as you come in):  

Jesse Thomas (minutes), E.J. Carter (out),  Lesley Lowery, Stephanie Michel, Jennifer Ward (out),  Dena Hutto, Kelly Peterson-Fairchild, Lori Hilterbrand, Ray Henry (out)

Agenda:


  1. Review actions from last meting - everything completed

    1. Primo Enhancements WG meeting tomorrow (3/16)


  1. D&D Team approval of NR changes (Lesley):

    1. NR testing is complete.  

    2. NRWG go/no-go recommendations are on the feedback form.

      1. Summary: All changes except leading articles in title browse received positive feedback from testers and a “Go” recommendation from the NRWG

      2. Note: the change to prevent CKB dedup will need to be communicated clearly to Ex Libris in advance of the production renorm, since this change has the potential to cause a longer renorm/reindexing process.

    3. Need approval from D&DT members ASAP so that announcement and PBO admin instructions can go out and NR changes can be moved to production before Friday’s renorm/reindex.

      1. Every change that needs PBO intervention is basically a new field that just needs to be turned on.

      2. Timeline: renorm starts at 1am on 3/18 and will (hopefully) end on 3/21 (72 hours); any changes made after the Thursday update won’t display until the process is completed.

      3. D&D Team approved both the timeline and the rule changes. Announcement and PBO Admin Instructions will be sent out shortly.

  1. WG updates

  • Reports should focused on highlights and questions, since most details are well-documented on the agenda.

  1. Norm Rules (Lesley)

    1. New “best practice” statement submitted for D&DT approval:

      1. To provide consistent display and functionality to Alliance users, Primo normalization rules for local fields should be consistent with their analogs. For example, the norm rule for MARC tag 955 (local uniform title) will be consistent with the norm rule for its analog of MARC tag 730 (uniform title).  Alliance institutions are also encouraged to use local fields in the same way as their analogs. If an institution chooses to use a local field differently than how its analog is used, the institution will be responsible for fixing metadata-initiated problems with that field.

    2. NR go/no-go discussion (see above)

    3. NRWG is considering adding a “best practices” space to their WG page to document these recommendations; closely aligned with the “best practices” info from the Tech Services WG page; there are many parallels between the two groups and opportunities for cross-linking.

  2. Primo Release Testing (Stephanie)

    1. Nothing to report

  3. Summit 3 COE (Jesse)

    1. Rota

      1. Our review period ended last Friday

      2. There were some questions about the timing and what the regular review schedule will look like moving forward, but nothing that impacts this particular update

      3. I sent Al the new rota last week; he will be implementing it at the NZ level in the coming days, at which point we‘ll be sending out an email to the fulfillment list alerting everyone to the change.

    2. Sandbox refreshes

      1. Four of our premium Alma sandboxes were refreshed over the past couple days (WWU, WU,PCC,PU); UW’s had to be restarted earlier this morning (not sure why); the anonymization piece still needs to be done, but ExL is going to hold off doing that until all the sandbox refreshes are completed.

      2. Chen sent us instructions on how to reset the resource sharing configuration; I reviewed them last week and will be following up with him directly

      3. Since this refresh was requested by ExL (as part of the Whitworth migration/implementation), Al has requested that they make these configuration changes for us, but we’ll still want to have a plan in place for future refreshes.

    3. Return Items problems

      1. Another casualty of the March release

      2. The problem was well-documented in Salesforce (five separate cases) and widely distributed on the listserv.

      3. The workflow itself is fine; the complications are mainly cosmetic; but it’s another example of functionality relapses.

      4. I got an update from Moshe this morning; he confirmed that these changes are directly related to the March release and says Ex Libris is working on a solution. He gave me an estimate of June, but I’m pressing him for an expedited fix.


Additions from D&D Team Members

  • Primo for Reference and Instruction Meeting was held yesterday at Whitman. Here are some of the shared documents they’ve posted on Google Docs (I’m sure more will be forthcoming).

  • Team structure/recruiting new WG members - timeline and nomination process?

    • WG members are nominated by WG chair and members and then appointed by PM and Team chair

    • The teams are responsible for coming up with WG members; Council has an opportunity to nominate members for the teams.

    • Should the Summit COE WG transition over to a new non-COE name (i.e. just Summit or SPOT)?

    • We will carry this conversation over to the next call.

  • What are the responsibilities of the D&D Reps? We need to draft some documentation and establish what these responsibilities are.

    • Forwarding Alliance emails are important, but even that’s not happening reliably.

    • There is a strict division of labor between delivery and discovery at some institutions which complicates this process.

    • Should we think about possibly adding two reps from each institution, one for each subject area?

      • Adds extra layer of coordination

      • Team emails would need to be clearly labeled so that they targeted the correct rep.

    • The chain of communication goes both ways: the rep is supposed to be relaying information from the teams to their local staff members, and they also need to share that information back to the teams

    • Should we consider changing their designation from “Rep” to “Coordinator”?

2:00 PM, March 8th.  2016

Participants (please bold as you come in):  

Jesse Thomas, E.J. Carter, Lesley Lowery, Stephanie Michel, Jennifer Ward (out),  Dena Hutto, Kelly Peterson-Fairchild, Lori Hilterbrand, Ray Henry (minutes)

Agenda:

  1. Review actions from last meeting - everything completed

  2. DDT website updated with agendas/minutes (Ray)

  3. Whitworth moving forward in Alliance migration/implementation (Ray)

    1. Alma sandbox refreshes planned & potential impacts - Ray and Al are coordinating details; timeframe TBA (per Al”s email: WWU 3/8, UW 3/9 and PCC 3/10; may be delayed). Impacts: sandbox availability, resource sharing. Test load to be delivered April 4; processes should be complete 1 week in advance. ACTION: Ray will seek clarity from Al about timeline and process.

    2. Training support needed - Ray is meeting with Cassie to discuss how the Alliance manages training; Ray is also looking at the old SILSdocs training site for insight into previous Primo training curriculum (primarily webinars followed by live sessions). Ray is coordinating details for upcoming training.  

      1. ACTION: contact Ray if you are interested in participating in Primo training.

      2. Role of D&D team? Whitworth is challenging due to short timeline. D&D Team could help identify and recruit potential trainers, but wouldn”t necessarily need to participate.

      3. University of Idaho”s experience: Anya Arnold coordinated training, but training was conducted by geographically proximate librarians: WSU and Whitman.

  4. Alma March Release Update (Ray, Jesse) - <JT> see below for grouchy details

    1. See below (Summit 3 COE update)

  1. Primo Enhancement WG reconvened.

    1. Ray taking the lead as Al has other priority responsibilities

    2. Round 2 of Primo enhancements process has begun

    3. Questions of whether enhancements will apply to new UI only or both UIs; 16 enhancements total

    4. Deadline: March 27

    5. Primo Enhancement Working Group has been reconvened with most original members; group seeks to get a voting recommendation out to member libraries as soon as possible (potentially early next week)

    6. Institutions will delegate 70% of vote for Alliance priorities; 30% to institutional priorities

  1. Renorm/Reindex Windows.

  • How do we want to proceed?

    • Send out a list of preferred windows?

    • Last time - Doodle poll with every weekend in the year, Thu-Mon

    • Could probably send out Fri-Sun windows, or Sat-Mon (one note - production renorm requires central staff intervention)

    • 6 months, instead of full year?

    • Look at what is high or low impact for patrons, not just course reserves

    • Send survey to dd-reps

    • plan to send in May

    • ACTION: Kelly and Lesley to move this forward

  1. WG updates

  • Reports should focused on highlights and questions, since most details are well-documented on the agenda.

    1. Norm Rules (Lesley)

      1. NRWG methodology New Approach and advisory group   P&CT approved.

        1. Next steps - advisory group members

        2. Timeline: [updated from proposal] Summer 2016 (per NRWG discussion).

          1. Allows time for renorm/reindex discussions to be settled before startup.

          2. Allows time for new members and Chair to get other obligations taken care of.

          3. Summer Meeting face-to-face for kickoff.

        3. (Question from DDT): Discovery Open Call 3/28 focus on advising membership on new approach? Could also be a place to recruit for potential advisory group members. Lesley will plan for this to happen.

      2. New ‘best practice’ statement submitted for D&DT approval:

        1. Normalization Rules for local fields will be consistent with their analogs. For example, the norm rule for 955 will be consistent with the norm rule for its analog of 730, and the norm rule for 960 will be consistent with its analog of 740.  Alliance institutions are encouraged to use local fields in the same way as their analogs. If an institution chooses to use a local field differently than how its analog is used, the institution will be responsible for fixing metadata-initiated problems with that field. ACTION: Team members review and get any changes/input to Lesley before next meeting.

      3. Discussion on alternative to global renorm/reindex via republishing.

        1. Review from Ray (who asked for this input) before getting it back to NRWG.

        2. Process is dependent on what type of changes are planned to NRs.

    2. Primo Release Testing (Stephanie)

      1. Primo February Release successfully installed to production Sunday, March 6.

    3. Summit 3 COE (Jesse)

      1. March release problems

        1. Critical failure with the auto-locate process on 3/6; we identified this in sandbox testing Friday but apparently that alert came too late; we conducted follow-up tests in our live environment early Sunday morning and submitted several high priority cases; Ex Libris suspended the locate process on Sunday afternoon to stop the bleeding; they rolled back the fix and turned everything back on Monday morning. Things seem to be have stabilized; we have had several meetings with ExL since then but still haven”t received a good explanation about what went wrong, just lots of apologies. We”re still sorting through the debris, trying to help libraries navigate the best way forward for these bad requests. From Lori: Are you getting enough testers? Could we have found it earlier if we had more eyes on it? Jesse: Two sandboxes are available for anyone at the Alliance to test, but it may be that there”s a familiarity issue for testers outside WWU/WU. Unusual to see the request in this case - a bit of luck in finding the initial issue in sandbox. Also needs better testing on development side.

        2. We also discovered a problem with recalls yesterday afternoon. Suddenly local holds on Summit loans was triggering a recall to the borrowing library. I submitted a high priority case last night, ExL injected a hotfix earlier this morning, and it appears that functionality has been disabled again. Luckily this doesn”t appear to be impacting the borrowing patrons in any way, aside from them receiving an extra email notice.

Additions from D&D Team Members

  • Quick FYI re: Summer Meeting (Ray)

  • Can we start thinking about WG recruitment for next year?


2:00 PM, March 1st.  2016


Participants (please bold as you come in):  

Jesse Thomas, E.J. Carter, Lesley Lowery, Stephanie Michel, Jennifer Ward, Dena Hutto, Kelly Peterson-Fairchild, Lori Hilterbrand (minutes), Ray Henry


Agenda:



  1. Review actions from last meeting

  • Updates to dd-team GTMs - Sent out by Elizabeth this afternoon.

  • Quick review of primo5@ - Michelle Burke and Rob Bohall asking for info on how primo5 list works.  Must be on list to post - DD Team, DD Reps are automatic, the rest are opt-ins - will be in alliance news for people to opt-in and systems group has been invited. Contact Elizabeth Duell to be subscribed. Share as desired!

  • Remaining work to do?


  1. Website discussion/update

  • What is and isn”t possible currently -

  • Fun with finding things! - try to supply direct linking when possible to decrease navigation confusion until more radical change can be made.  Minutes are supposed to be made individual pages for the site. Ray is working on developing a better way to insert our documents than just doing a data (HTML) dump or link to our Google Docs to protect private or sensitive info.

  • Responsibilities

  • In-progress: new documentation site - meetings with Cassie about all of the items that aren”t minutes. A lot of clean-up on older documents and submissions is in progress - Thanks Ray!

  • Alliance News - review for submission to Cassie - due tomorrow.  Feedback by 4pm today or your silence is the voice of complicity!

  • Lesley, Ray, Kelly, Jennifer, Stephanie, going to Eluna


  1. WG updates

  • Reports should focused on highlights and questions, since most details are well-documented on the agenda.

  1. Norm Rules (Lesley)

    1. NR testing is now underway, closes 3/14.

    2. Question on NRWG autonomy in setting best practices (you should do) vs.policies (you must do). - local field review group recommendations, drafted a statement of position, but then not sure if they are creating policy or suggesting best practices for someone else to formalize at a higher level.  Working group is okay with making it a best practice statement. Kelly recommends that we have purview for best practices but that policy change needs to go up the chain to P&C

    3. Review of SILS site documents (project) - move still-relevant docs to the new site

    4. Brainstorming on renorm/reindex process on sandboxes

    5. New punchlist request for LibGuides resource type - Kelly McGrath

    6. Continuing to review feedback on potential ‘New books’ facet.

  2. Primo Release Testing (Stephanie)

    1. PRTWG recommends a ‘go’ for installing the February release to production on Sunday, March 6 (midnight Saturday). Users should see minimal impact if on-line during the update window - usually 2 hours.

    2. If it”s a go, Ray to confirm install with Ex Libris - already scheduled, Ray will confirm and manage pre-release process turn-offs.

  3. Summit 3 COE (Jesse)

    1. I will be sending the new rota proposal to the various lists in the coming days - should implement mid-march depending on level of input from review

    2. We are currently reviewing the March release notes and conducting testing; we will be following up with Chen and Moshe on our call tomorrow. Send out more widely that DD Team/Reps? Okay to share with Fulfill Discuss or SWG? There”s no veto on releases for Alma, but more likely to get a hot-fix ahead of release. Kelly - ‘We could send to reps and say it is okay to send to others if appropriate.’

    3. I will also be sending out the agenda for the Fulfillment Open Call on Friday either today or tomorrow.


  1. New member library - Whitworth. Quick overview of initial planning call with ExL

    1. Jesse: Ray, can you follow up with Cassie and get more information about the Alliance”s training responsibilities. Will Whitworth be received the same fulfillment and Primo certification training from ExL that we all got? Who will be conducting their onsite fulfillment and resource sharing training?

    2. Migrating, preparing for data clean-up - target June for go-live. We”ll need to share some of the Alliance specific parts.  We have Audrey Ho, Megan Drake, Marina Spivakov, and others who know a lot about the process.

    3. Primo premium sandbox for pre-production environment - will require a lot of coordination


Additions from D&D Team Members

  • Other updates or questions?

  • (Lesley): Alma March release has introduced HTML element IDs for each line of the Primo request forms (Summit and local).  I suspect this was done to support the Alma mapping table-based request forms that are in development and due next quarter.  This marks an end to the nth-child references that broke every time Ex Libris added a new element to the request form.  We”ll still have to watch for new fields being added that we don”t want to display, but we”ll no longer have to worry about previously-hidden elements re-appearing!  Woot!