The Orbis Cascade Alliance, a consortium serving 37 academic libraries in the Pacific Northwest, seeks an experienced service-oriented IT Manager. The IT Manager will advance consortial efforts across program areas through collaboration with members, consortium staff, and external partners.
The IT Manager works with commercial products like the Ex Libris Alma library management system and the Ex Libris Primo discovery system as well as with locally developed web services like Archives West. The IT Manager will work with Windows and LINUX servers, Mac and PC laptops, and web-based services. The position supports nine staff and services used across the Alliance. Our goal is to create and deliver innovative, sustainable, and essential library programs and resources. This position is integral to achieving that goal.
The IT manager is responsible for coordinating, planning, and leading computer-related activities in the Alliance office and for the remote staff. The IT Manager helps determine the IT needs and is responsible for implementing computer systems and services to move the Alliance towards its shared goals.
We seek candidates who are excited by the opportunity to generate collaboration and engagement among colleagues across the Pacific Northwest. The ideal candidate brings strong organizational skills, builds strong relationships, has exceptional communication skills, has the ability to synthesize information, and see the big picture. We seek candidates who will enhance and support an inclusive, diverse work environment, and will bring cultural competence to the support, design, and delivery of consortial services.
To apply please send a cover letter, a CV or resume, and names and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please note references will not be contacted until later stages in the hiring process and only after consulting with candidates.Applications received by September 25, 2020 will be given first consideration.
The Information Technology Manager is responsible for providing leadership in IT evaluation and planning and manages technologies that support Orbis Cascade Alliance services. Specifically, this position is responsible for:
- Providing technical support for the consortium”s Shared Integrated Library System (Shared ILS; based on the Ex Libris Alma and Primo tools), including Primo UI and Primo Back Office support, troubleshooting, and other maintenance tasks; data flow monitoring; reporting; and, the extension of Alma and Primo through APIs.
- Providing technical support for the consortium”s unique and distinctive collections services, including the Encoded Archival Description database Archives West and archival collection management service.
- Leading support for the Alliance”s technical infrastructure, including management of local and cloud servers; content management systems/web sites; administrative databases; staff PC and Mac workstations. Includes responsibility for vendor relations, upgrades, migration, monitoring performance, and security.
- Participating on teams implementing the Alliance”s Strategic Agenda, including researching, recommending, implementing, and supporting new technologies in a complex multi-state multi-institutional environment.
- Will require daily interactions with a distributed workforce in 37 member libraries.
Shared ILS Support (Alma and Primo) (20%):
- Provide technical support for the consortium”s Shared ILS, based on the Ex Libris Alma and Primo tools), including Primo UI and Primo Back Office support, troubleshooting, and other maintenance and monitoring tasks.
- Data flow monitoring, reporting, and, the extension of Alma and Primo through published APIs, SRU, and Analytics.
Linux and Windows Server and Technology Infrastructure Administration (45%):
- Lead support for the Alliance”s technical infrastructure, including management of local and cloud servers; content management systems/web sites; administrative databases; staff workstations.
- Includes responsibility for vendor relations, upgrades, migration, monitoring performance, and security.
Metadata Support (15%):
- Provide technical support for the consortium”s unique and distinctive collections services, including the Encoded Archival Description database and archival collection management service.
Research and Recommending Information Technology (10%):
- Participate on teams implementing the Alliance”s Strategic Agenda, including researching, recommending, implementing, and supporting new technologies in a complex multi-state, multi-institutional environment.
Creating, Revising, and Maintaining Documentation (5%): for Alma, Primo, Archives West, and additional services offered by the Alliance.
Other duties as assigned (5%):
- BS or BA degree from an accredited institution.
- Two (2) years” experience supporting *nix systems (Unix, Linux, etc.) in a production environment.
Required Professional Competencies:
- Significant experience with at least one (1) programming language.
- Experience writing documentation.
- Excellent project management, analytical, customer service, oral, and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks in a complex and changing environment, including balancing long-term projects and being responsive to more immediate support needs.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, collaborate at a distance, and inspire the participation of colleagues.
- Ability to work effectively with users from a variety of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to learn and apply new skills to problems.
- Degree(s) in computer science, library science, or related fields.
- Experience working with consortia, libraries, special collections/archives, or in higher education.
- Three years” experience in server support, including experience with Web and database servers.
- Experience editing digital video.
- Experience with a library management system (LMS or ILS) product.
- Experience with a library discovery product.
- Experience in supporting remote technology needs especially in communicating complex technical information.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Able to excel in a distributed and collaborative environment that includes regular contact with colleagues with diverse responsibilities representing a broad array of academic libraries.
- Demonstrated project management skills and expertise in providing robust network services while learning new technical skills and designing, selecting, implementing, and maintaining services.
- Some weekend and evening hours may be required.
- Must reside in membership region (Oregon, Washington state, or Idaho)
- Extensive travel is not required, but this position is expected to be involved in professional Information Technology organizations and to participate in events directly related to Orbis Cascade Alliance services.
Orbis Cascade Alliance strives to provide competitive and cost-effective benefits for its employees, as we recognize that benefits greatly impact the economic and personal welfare of employees. Please see the Orbis Cascade Alliance Employee Benefits page for details.
To apply please send a cover letter, a CV or resume, and names and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note references will not be contacted until later stages in the hiring process and only after consulting with candidates. Applications received by September 25, 2020, will be given first consideration.