Evaluatingyour existing service
Factors to consider include:
- The number of ILL or RS items you send and receive annually
- The cost of shipping and packing those items
- How quickly those items can get to your patrons
A public library is trying to decide whether or not to join a courier service. A courier service membership is quoted to them at $7,000 for pickup/delivery 5 days per week. (Note: this is an example price to demonstrate the math - interested libraries should contact the Alliance for current pricing information.) The library sends an average of 2500 ILL packages annually to libraries that are already served by the courier.
- USPS media mail likely averages approximately $4.00 per item.
- Annual cost is 2500 items at $4 each - $10,000.
- Savings: $3,000