Left Menu Right Menu


October 11, 2018

The central staff of the Orbis Cascade Alliance need to re-allocate work given our current reduced central staffing.  The message below tries to describe where to direct inquiries and identify where help is available during this transitional period. The Board supports these actions after reviewing this scope of work at their meeting on October 2-3, 2018.  We will begin with this scope, add items as we can, and will expand our work when we have additional program managers on staff.


Given our reduced central staffing, we request that current Team and/or Group members consider serving through June, if they are able. Continued service from member staff in this capacity will help provide continuity as we move forward with the Strategic Plan and onboard new central staff.


With a broad stroke, we are doing the following:

Asking existing Teams and Groups to serve through June 2019. Current Team and group members will have the ability to conclude their service at the end of December 2018 as initially planned if they are not able to serve through June 2019. Teams/groups may recruit to fill critical vacancies as needed.

Teams and Groups will largely meet without central staff support. Elizabeth Duell will host and start all scheduled meetings. Elizabeth will continue to be available to support scheduling new meetings, posting minutes, and provide other meeting logistics support.

All existing email lists will continue. Central staff will monitor community lists to offer support where needed.

We will not be appointing interim Program Managers, but the central staff will support members as follows:  

Jesse Holden will continue focusing on Shared Content & Technical Services.  

Kate Jones, SOU, will continue to support Resource Sharing & Fulfillment as previously announced.

Lesley Lowery & Dana Bostrom will be available to support limited inquiries, as identified below, from the other areas.

If a ULC community member is interested in working a few additional hours each week to support some ULC-identified tasks below, please contact Dana Bostrom.

Dana Bostrom, Lesley Lowery and Jesse Holden will communicate with Team Chairs on a regular basis to support coordination and progress.

Dana Bostrom will work with Team Chairs to finish the approval of the new strategic plan. The hard work of identifying resources for the strategic plan is done, and most Team work necessary for this phase was complete in September. The Council will consider prioritization of work at their meeting in November. Since we have fewer central staff than is optimal, the focus from January through June 2019 will be:

Teams refining work plans for FY 19 & FY 20 for approved Initiatives -- planning coordination with other Teams, identifying how the Teams see work getting done, and orienting new members and program managers to the work. We will not be able to do everything, but can go a level deeper when possible!

Onboarding new program managers

Recruitment of new team members

Systems Program Manager interviews are underway (watch for details later this month)

Information about searches for other positions will be shared in the future.

We thank you for helping your colleagues, and look forward to providing greater service in the future.  We appreciate your patience and support during this time, and know that the Alliance member community is strong and will continue to support each other through this transition period.

Dana Bostrom, Executive Director &

Michelle Bagley, Board & Council Chair


Ex Libris Salesforce cases

Item

Who to contact

Primo Discovery area cases

Copy Lesley Lowery for cases you want to copy a PM on (llowery@orbiscascade)

Resource Sharing / Fulfillment Area cases

Copy Kate Jones for cases you want to copy a PM on (jonesk11@sou.edu)

Shared Content area cases

Copy Jesse Holden for cases you want to copy a PM on (jholden@orbiscascade)

Technical Services area cases

Copy Jesse Holden for cases you want to copy a PM on (jholden@orbiscascade)

Systems area cases

Copy Dana Bostrom for cases you want to copy a PM on (dbostrom@orbiscascade)

Unsure who to copy?

Copy Lesley Lowery for unknown cases (llowery@orbiscascade)

Other Ex Libris interactions

Monthly meetings with support

Jesse and Kate will solicit cases for our monthly meeting; please send requests to them. Lesley will send a summary of the meeting to Alliance members.

Quarterly strategic meetings

Dana will lead this meeting and report to Alliance members.

Primo Renorming / Reindexing

Lesley is the point person for this work.

Urgent / consortia wide cases

Lesley, Jesse, and Dana will monitor Alliance community lists for issues and respond to the member community for urgent and/or component down cases.  All 3 have the ability to submit Alliance cases and edit member cases. If you need help and don”t see the staff responding on the lists, feel free to call.  Our numbers are listed below.

Alma & Primo Releases

Alma Releases & Testing

We will STOP sending out messages about Alma releases. Teams and Groups may continue to support analysis of release notes and testing, at their discretion. Alliance members can sign up to get release note notifications from Ex Libris (if you are not already signed up.)

Primo Releases & Testing

The Primo Release Testing Standing Group will continue to provide Primo testing support and consult with the DUX Team as needed.

Premium Sandbox Access

Lesley Lowery (llowery@orbiscascade) is available to add people to sandboxes, as necessary.

Provide spreadsheet of cases resolved in releases

We are stopping this practice. Members with Salesforce access can see which of their cases are set to be resolved with any given release.

Resource Sharing & Fulfillment

As previously announced, Kate Jones (jonesk11@sou.edu) is managing some aspects of this work as the interim RSF Coordinator.

Rota Management

Contact Kate Jones if you need to close your library for more than 5 days during a NON-HOLIDAY period.  


Routine rota management will continue to be managed by Erin Bledsoe (CWU).

Alma & Primo Salesforce issues / cases

Kate Jones will be the primary advocate for RSF during this time.

Courier issues

Use the regular Courier problem report form.  Kate Jones will provide coverage.

RSF Mentorship Program

Erin Bledsoe (CWU) is managing this program.  It will continue through its planned pilot program.

Systems Area Questions

Data Cite

Dana Bostrom

New / Revised Documentation

Contact Elizabeth Duell (eduell@orbiscascade) for help

Unique & Local Collections Questions

We are maintaining most of the same support mechanisms and contact information that was announced in July.

Archives West: General

First, post your question to the Archives & Manuscripts Collections Service discussion list (aandm@orbiscascade.org). Your colleagues will be able to answer many questions.


If still unresolved, use the ULC Problem Report Form.

Archives West: Website down

Use the ULC Problem Report Form. Dana Bostrom and Lesley Lowery will be providing coverage.

Archives West: Institutional password reset requests

Use the ULC Problem Report Form. Dana Bostrom and Lesley Lowery will be providing coverage.

Archives West: quarterly use reports / annual report

We expect to continue posting reports to the website. We are still evaluating how best to continue supporting this work.

Archives West: If you need a finding aid removed from the system (Document deletion)

Use the ULC Problem Report Form. Dana Bostrom and Lesley Lowery will be providing coverage and performing deletes once a month.

Archives West: EAD training

Will not be supported this year. ULC Team will be sending out additional information about what training resources are already available and where to direct questions soon.

ArchivesSpace: General

First, post your question to the ArchivesSpace Implementers discussion list (archivesspace-implementers@orbiscascade.org). The list includes all institutions in A&M that use ArchivesSpace. Your colleagues will be able to answer many questions.


If still unresolved, use the ULC Problem Report Form.

ArchivesSpace instances hosted through the Alliance By Library Host: If you have an issue, error, or problems

Use the ULC Problem Report Form.


Alliance staff will continue to coordinate with LibraryHost and track issues. (see description of LibraryHost support & process)

ArchivesSpace hosting: institutional admin password resets

Use the ULC Problem Report Form. Dana Bostrom and Lesley Lowery will be providing coverage.

ArchivesSpace training

Archival Collections Management SG is teaching remaining sessions this fall with logistics support from Elizabeth.

Digital Collections help (metadata remediation, harvester contributions)

Post your question to the Dublin Core Metadata discussion list (ulc-dcm-discussion@orbiscascade.org). The Dublin Core Best Practices Standing Group will be monitoring the list and can answer many questions.


If still unresolved,use the ULC Problem Report Form.

DPLA

The ULC Team is identifying possible approaches, and will provide and assess them after our contractor coordinates with DPLA to understand status.

California Digital Library LSTA grant: National project to explore alternative infrastructure options for regional finding aid sites

We expect that this work will help us evaluate future infrastructure/system changes for Archives West


We are examining this project now and will announce information in the future. Dana Bostrom is the point person in the interim.

Newsletter

Alliance News

We will discontinue the Alliance News. You will continue to see announcements posted to community lists and the Announce list.

Point People for Teams -- any question not listed above

Discovery & User Experience

Lesley Lowery

Resource Sharing & Fulfillment

Jen Jacobs (Team Chair) jjacobs@lclark.edu)

OR

Dana Bostrom (dbostrom@orbiscascade) if central staff related

Shared Content & Technical Services

Jesse Holden

Systems

Dana Bostrom

Unique & Local Collections

Dana Bostrom

Staff Phone Numbers:


Elizabeth Duell 541-246-2470 x 200

Dana Bostrom 503-610-8786

Lesley Lowery 541-632-4446

Jesse Holden 541-854-0995