Oxford University Press / University of California Press
This plan is one of two new ebook acquisition models launched in fiscal year (FY) 2018. The Alliance will be purchasing outright all Oxford Scholarship Online (OSO), continuing at least through 2020. In FYs 2018 and 2019, the Alliance will also acquire University of California Press (UC) ebooks published on the OSO platform. Year one will result in the acquisition of approximately 1200 new OUP titles and 140 UC Press ebooks on the OSO platform and University Press Scholarship Online (UPSO) platform. Titles will be made available DRM-free as they become available, available to all Alliance member institutions.
Alliance institutions will have access to an additional 16,000 backlist titles on the OSO platform continuing at least through 2020. These titles are DRM-free as well. Most titles cover the humanities and social sciences, with some science and medicine subject coverage. OUP and UC have agreed to partner with GOBI Library Services to ensure that program titles will appear on the GOBI platform to aid customers in avoiding accidental duplication.
This plan has been renewed for a second year.The ESG recommended the Alliance move forward with a second year of access to ebooks on the Oxford Scholarship Online (OSO) platform. As a reminder, the OUP portion of the Alliance Ebook Program includes an upfront purchase of platform releases for June 2018-May 2019, estimated at 1,200 OUP titles published during that year. For Year 2, the Alliance Ebook Program will also purchase select OUP partner press frontlist content, influenced by Alliance SCT-Rep feedback:
- University of California (UC)
- University of Chicago
- MIT Press
Purchased content for Year 2 (FY 2019) will include titles published on the UPSO platform and released across three dates: September 2018, January 2019, and May 2019.
- Eight (8) highly-used backfile titles from Year One (FY18) were purchased for the Alliance permanent shared collection.
- Gratis access of OUP backfile titles on the OSO platform will be provided for Year 2 of the plan.
- MARC records will continue to be managed at the Alliance Network Zone (NZ) leveler this ebookplan.
- The ESG expects that OSO plan elements may change annually, even if the plan is continued in future years.
- Alma Network Zone E-Collection: Oxford University Press Ebooks (Orbis Cascade Alliance)
- Available for: All Alliance Member Libraries
- Public note in each OUP/UC Press discovery portfolio: Orbis Cascade Oxford University Press Discovery Resource
- Public note in each OUP/UC Press purchased portfolio: Orbis Cascade Oxford Purchased Resource
- Proxy Settings: Access to titles requires local proxy server authentication
- All portfolios are set to require authentication
- Bibliographic records are provided by OCLC and are generally of good quality.
- Bibliographic records for new titles will be received at least monthly. Titles (and records) are deleted infrequently
- How to Use Oxford Scholarship Online
- PDF Guide to University Press Scholarship Online
- 2017 Alliance OSO Ebook Partnership Factsheet from OUP
- Oxford Bibliographies Online
- Oxford Handbooks Online
- Oxford Reference Online
- Oxford Research Encyclopedias