Left Menu Right Menu

Index of Meetings

2:00 PM, May 31st.  2016

Participants (please bold as you come in):  

Jesse Thomas (out), E.J. Carter (minutes), Lesley Lowery, Stephanie Michel (out), Jennifer Ward, Dena Hutto (out), Kelly Peterson-Fairchild , Lori Hilterbrand, Michele Burke (PAJWG), Ray Henry

Agenda:

  1. Review actions from last meeting.

  2. Upcoming time out

    1. 6/14 meeting = tentative

    2. Summer Meeting outstanding items?: Alma Analytics on Tuesday for one person per institution (Monday session canceled).  We want to promote the hackfest day especially to reference & instruction librarians (with a discovery interest).  If you know someone who would like to take part, let Ray know.

    3. Notetaking: should we have official notetakers?  Invite someone present to take notes?  Collaborative note-taking?  

    4. https://www.orbiscascade.org/summer-meeting-2016/

  3. Anything to go in the Alliance News? (Ray) So far Ray has the Alma and Primo releases, and encouraging people to attend the hackfest.  We could also push the Renorm/Reindex survey (people have until the 15th to complete it).  Also the call for Priority Support Cases--that though is aimed at all alliance teams and isn”t D&D specific.  It may already be in the Systems Team news.

  4. Renorm/Reindex Window survey (Lesley) - 13 institutions have responded so far.  Late July plus all of October and most of November seem to be good times in general.  That could change as more institutions fill out the survey.  We will also take 1- or 2- conflict times if necessary.  More to come on the 15th when the survey closes.  

WG Updates

Summit 3 COE (Jesse) - absent

  • Next week we”ll be focusing on June Alma release testing. The new “receiving multiple items” workflow will warrant special attention, as will the new pop-up alerts in the Scan in Items interface.

  • In our 6/1 call we”ll be focusing more on the article request form. We need to come to a consensus about certain details before we can take it back to ExL as a coherent request. Our consortial workflow complicates the matter. We don”t use Summit for articles, but other libraries do (or at least ExL anticipates this will be important moving forward). They”ve invested a considerable amount of development time setting this workflow up and are not very eager to change/disable it just because it doesn”t work for us.

Norm Rules (Lesley)

  • NRWG is moving ahead to finish off the Republishing Pilot Project.  We”ll be implementing two changes to 856 links on production.  This will take place on 6/28, during the 2nd half of our standing meeting, and our process will be recorded.  Lesley will provide documentation and more details via an announcement to the lists around 6/15.  These are objective fixes of things that are broken and don”t require testing or feedback on display preferences.

  • Norm rule changes to support virtual bookplates are ready for implementation on production as well - this will be done separately from the 856 changes, to reduce confusion.  NRWG is going to be very clear in the announcement about this that we will not provide code (CSS, JavaScript) support for this feature.  Users experiencing difficulty with that aspect of the customization should contact the VCU staff who developed it.  

Additions from D&D Team Members

  • Shortened due dates in the June Release (Lori) - Previously it was not possible to shut off ‘Due Date Change Letter’  for calendar changes without people failing to get notifications on their recalls.  This might fix that problem - it creates a second letter. Probably Lori won”t be able to test until it goes live.  Anonymized sandboxes would be a good place to test this, but it”s not clear how well those are working, or how accessible they are.  Lesley will work with Kate Cabe on testing this.  Lori will send specific questions to Lesley. Western has signed off on the whitelist idea.

  • Norm Rules Advisory Group will be consolidated by the time of the summer meeting.  June 3rd is the last day for self-nominations.  A joint meeting of NRWG and advisory group at summer meeting would be great.

2:00 PM, May 24th.  2016

Participants (please bold as you come in):  

Jesse Thomas, E.J. Carter, Lesley Lowery, Stephanie Michel, Jennifer Ward (out), Dena Hutto, Kelly Peterson-Fairchild , Lori Hilterbrand, Michele Burke (PAJWG), Ray Henry (minutes)

Agenda:

  1. Review actions from last meeting - Continue discussion on Summer meeting today.

  2. Upcoming time out: Ray gone 6/16 - 6/26 (D&D and NRWG GTMs for 6/21 canceled), Stephanie (5/27-6/14, 7/18-7/25), Kelly (6/13-6/15) Jennifer? EJ (7/7-7/22) Jesse (5/31; 7/20-7/26; 8/23); Lesley? Dena? Lori (6/27; 8/10-28)

    1. 6/14 meeting = tentative

  3. Summer Meeting update:

    1. https://www.orbiscascade.org/summer-meeting-2016/

  • Please send feedback about Summer Meeting to Ray, and/or answer the post-meeting survey.  It”s time to reflect on our needs and how best to meet them.

    1. A list of the breakout topics DDT is responsible for (in addition to the one-day Summit and fulfillment training), in no particular order:

  • Descriptions due by end-of-day TODAY

      1. Reference and instruction librarians” roundtable discussion - Dena and Stephanie will work with Ray on this

  • More of a conversation than a panel

        1. Proposed description for registration: An open conversation on supporting reference and instruction as a part of the Discovery and Delivery community. Sharing resources, channels for participation at the Alliance level, and a discussion about next steps.

      1. Primo 101 for front line staff - getting more direction from the Summer Meeting committee re: content/audience

  • Intended for audience who don”t use Primo daily; not reference/instruction focused, more fulfillment focused (or new/infrequent users, including people new to their positions)

        1. Proposed description for registration: Aimed at staff who work primarily in Alma, this is an introduction to: which parts of the Primo user interface come from Alma, what can be customized in the Primo Back Office (or elsewhere), tips and tricks for troubleshooting access issues, as well as time for questions.

      1. Teaching with Primo - Barbara Valentine, Stephanie Michel, and Dena Hutto working on this (meeting today after the D&D meeting)

  • Draft description; more detail after today”s meeting

        1. Proposed description for registration (placeholder): A panel of instruction librarians will share techniques as well as inviting questions and discussion from attendees.

      1. Course reserves best practices - Ray working with Jesse on this one

  • Action: Ray will contact folks at UW for their input on this draft

        1. Proposed description for registration: Demonstrating institutional approaches to managing course reserves workflows, and an opportunity to ask questions and share information.

      1. Primo new UI  - Stephanie has volunteered to work on this! We may want to ask Kate Deibel to briefly review the accessibility conversation with ExL

  • Action: Stephanie will reach out to Kate to confirm that she is willing to participate in this session; she will might also reach out to people on the PRTWG and potentially Systems and Jennifer Ward with Product Working Group perspective.

  • Kate will also participate in Hackfest and morning session

        1. Proposed description for registration: Sharing information from the May release as well as roadmap updates, the new customization package manager system, and things to consider before going live with the new UI.

      1. Primo Toolkit Roundtable - we co-sponsor this and should be available to the WG, but it”s the WG”s session

  • Panel discussion from WG members discussing/demoing their contributions

        1. Proposed description for registration: Members of the Primo Toolkit Working Group will share the existing toolkit, talk through or demo customizations, and talk about plans for integrating this work into the new UI customization framework.

      1. Summit and Fulfillment Day - Ray is working with Jesse on identifying potential trainers and recruiting them

      1. Analytics - Cassie is coordinating these sessions

        1. Update: one session only, on Tuesday. Deans and directors will select one person from their institution to attend (no open registration). Cassie is planning GTMs for August, so D&D folks interested in being a part of that are encouraged to contact her.

      2. Reps meeting - D&D Team needs to set agenda for this time and let reps know.

  • We should plan to send reps an agenda well in advance of session

  • Reps designated by deans/directors; reps may want to talk with their deans/directors if position isn”t a good fit or if it is time for a change (no formal process for changing reps)

  • Ray”s initial communication indicated that meeting is open; reps are invited to bring others

  • Action: Ray will email small group to discuss details/deadlines

  1. Renorm/Reindex Window survey (Lesley)

    1. This needs to go out to the Reps list in the next week or so for voting, with a reminder that renorm/reindex is a 3-day process now, not 5.

    2. Survey covers July 1 - Dec 31.  Will send out another survey in late November for January 2017 - June 2017.

    3. Deadline for participation of June 15

WG Updates

Summit 3 COE (Jesse)

  • We held a special AAR open call last week; Ray posted the recording on the AAR website; we are still firming up some of the revised deadlines (June 10th is the proposed deadline for master list submissions) and also some challenges with the generated reports; we will discuss this more on our upcoming delivery open call and lay out a more concrete timeline.

  • We have another Summit WG call with ExL tomorrow morning; we have been reviewing and updating our punch list lately; ExL is supposed to provide us with an update about some new functionality that they”re developing, specifically a new feature which will allow us to ship multiple items on the same borrowing request. If details gotten, report out at delivery open call.

  • And speaking of delivery open call, here is the draft agenda that I will be sending out shortly.

Primo Release Testing (Stephanie)

  • Primo Release Testing Working Group recommends a ‘Go’ vote for installation to production

  • Assuming ‘go’ vote, May Release will be installed to production on Sunday, May 29

    • DDT agrees: go ahead with install 5/29 to production

  • Polling WG members to schedule an online meeting with Dana B.

Norm Rules (Lesley)

  • Update on publishing from NZ:  Case resolved.  Lesley used the wrong publishing profile in the NZ.  The jobs marked as (implementation) in both the NZ and IZ environments are the ones that publish to the premium sandbox.  The jobs not marked in this way are the ones that publish to the production environment.

  • Possible dates and desired format of meeting with Dana B. were decided on.

    • Scheduled 6/28 - Dana has confirmed

  • NRAG Chair has sent out email to TS-discussion and DISC-discussion to solicit members for the group.  Desired timeline is a kickoff meeting at Summer Meeting this year.

    • Can we get a firm deadline out? (Ray)

      • Self nominations due June 3rd C.O.B.

    • Travel arrangements might not be possible to get squared away for Summer Meeting - if candidates already in pipeline, could go faster

  • Whitworth migration NR changes: Lesley to meet with Audrey, Megan, and Marina tomorrow morning to go over the Ex Libris plan for implementing the NR changes.

Additions from D&D Team Members

  • Jesse & Kate also meeting w/Whitworth

2:00 PM, May 17th.  2016

Participants (please bold as you come in):  

Jesse Thomas, E.J. Carter, Lesley Lowery, Stephanie Michel, Jennifer Ward, Dena Hutto, Kelly Peterson-Fairchild , Lori Hilterbrand (minutes), Ray Henry


Agenda:


  1. Review actions from last meeting - Summer meeting. No other follow up

  2. D&D Team recruiting (nominations closed last Friday - next steps) - Ray will talk to incoming chair and Jesse and Ray will come up with a slate of nominees to share with Dana Bostrom.  Want to add another position, lots of work to do so another member would be helpful.  Then shift focus to working groups and comings and goings.

  3. FYI - D&D site updated - minutes linked and current

  4. Summer Meeting update:

    1. https://www.orbiscascade.org/summer-meeting-2016/

    2. A list of the breakout topics DDT is responsible for (in addition to the one-day Summit and fulfillment training), in no particular order:

      1. Reference and instruction librarians” roundtable discussion - Dena and Stephanie will work with Ray on this

      2. Primo 101 for front line staff - getting more direction from the Summer Meeting committee re: content/audience

      3. Teaching with Primo - Barbara Valentine, Stephanie Michel, and Dena Hutto working on this

      4. Course reserves best practices - Ray working with Jesse on this one

      5. Primo new UI  - Stephanie has volunteered to work on this! We may want to ask Kate Deibel to briefly review the accessibility conversation with ExL

      6. Primo Toolkit Roundtable - need to set up time to meet about this

      7. Summit Day (and Fulfillment!) Ray is working with Jesse on identifying potential trainers and recruiting them

      8. Analytics - Cassie is coordinating these sessions - if there are folks from D&D areas willing to be trainers, please contact her right away

      9. Reps meeting - D&D Team needs to set agenda for this time and let reps know. Ray hasn”t made contact yet, but it”s a good opportunity for us.  Kelly is also willing to come to that meeting if available.  Small contingent for planning for this meeting - add your names if interested here: Jesse, Jennifer, Lori, Lesley.  Opportunity to share our vision, and the expectations of the reps. Get strategic conversation going around DD.

  5. ELUNA Report Out from attendees

  6. Discovery Open Call (5/23 - 2pm) - Kelly will send out reminder today

  1. ELUNA update/sharing - top 2 takeaways? Other options?  Systems did everybody who attended and people ‘self-managed.’ Start with team members who were there to get the conversation going.  Make personal notes available since slides are slow in coming?

  2. Primo update - Stephanie can give May release testing update, and Primo New UI update

  3. Summer meeting - Ray and Kelly will give update on scheduling table, hopefully reps will be on the call as well.  Registration and hotel info should come out on that day as well - may increase attendance on the call….

      8.  Delivery Open Call (5/26) -

  • summer meeting update here as well,

  • sharing from those who went to ELUNA.  

  • June should be an easy update month, July will be heavier.  

  • Questions or suggestions for open call recently - bookings, updating locations and fulfillment units/rules after being in the system for awhile.  


WG Updates

Summit 3 COE (Jesse)

  • AAR - I sent out an email this morning to the fulfill/disc-discussion lists. It included an update about the newly revised AAR web page, as well as the credentials for the upcoming open call on Thursday. Shanel, Kate and I are meeting this afternoon to brainstorm what we want to say.

Primo Release Testing (Stephanie)

  • Deadline for May Release Testing feedback is tomorrow at 5pm

  • 11 ‘Go’ votes submitted so far; 0 ‘no go’ votes

  • Feedback about lack of navigation on the Citations/Cited By pages has been submitted to the Idea Exchange, where it has already earned 12 votes. People want a ‘Back to Search Results’ link.

  • New user interface: Miri Botzer and Ex Libris development are looking into why some libraries (including UW, Whitman) are unable to access the new user interface (possibly related to PDS). Wade Guidry shared info via disc-discussion about how to disable PDS in the sandbox to temporarily resolve this. Primo New UI email list (or directly to Miri) instead of Salesforce for these issues.

  • Assuming ‘go’ vote, May Release will be installed to production on Sunday, May 29

Norm Rules (Lesley)

  • Republishing from NZ update: Large CP_ALMA pipe loads on 4/29 and 4/30 may have contained the records republished from the NZ on 4/25,26, and 27.  SF00218439 updated with two questions:

    • How to tell date when a PNX was last re-written? Answer: Use the PNX viewer in the PBO.

    • Is a 4-5 day delay between republishing and renorm/reindex pipe expected Alma/Primo behavior? Answer: No.  Republished records should be picked up by the very next scheduled pipe.

    • Maria B. is going to run down a couple of example records to see if she can figure out why they weren”t piped after being republished.

  • TSWG advises the NRWG they will be pursuing an Alliance-wide policy on 5XX fields with $5.  These are note fields with local information - the $5 marks them as local.  TSWG recommends this data should be moved to 590 local fields, and that 5XX with $5 should not be displayed in Primo.  One potential caveat is rare book cataloging, in which this type of field contains information that is useful for other institutions.  If this policy is adopted by the Alliance, the NRWG will need to make NR changes to remove the 5XX with $5 from display.

  • NRWG will set next implementation date after renorm/reindex survey is completed.  Hoping for late summer or early fall window.  This will be the last ‘general’ NR rollout.  NRWG will develop for the first ‘focus topic’ cycle this Fall, with implementation in November/December, following NRAG-led discussions on that topic this Summer. (Topic is still TBD.)  This staggered cycling between the NRAG and NRWG should allow adequate development time for the majority of desired/requested NR changes identified by the NRAG.

  • New UI impact on NRWG development and testing.  In general, the NRWG will continue to build/test changes in the current UI, but will maintain awareness of when NR changes may interact with the new UI, and test those changes carefully in the new UI.  All changes will be spot-checked in both UIs before Alliance-wide testing.  Testing documentation will contain reminders that testers should also check NR changes in both UIs until they migrate to the new UI.  If (and only if) all Alliance institutions migrate to the new UI, the NRWG will dispense with testing changes in the current UI.

  • Website work is wrapping up, with final documentation review/update/move this summer.

2:00 PM, May 10th.  2016

Participants (please bold as you come in):  

Jesse Thomas, E.J. Carter, Lesley Lowery, Stephanie Michel, Jennifer Ward, Dena Hutto, Kelly Peterson-Fairchild (minutes), Lori Hilterbrand, Ray Henry, Michele Burke


Agenda:


  1. Review actions from last meeting

  2. Primo Joint Assessment Working Group Usability Testing (Michele)

    1. Update document https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n1z50gno_mUNZRoI-_5yl7_H0aLJxNA12ua7xXsCwVY/edit

    2. Primo 5 (New UI) overview

Https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P44Z-PjOc6ogFCxbycZgOSoaAooWIB8Vi1cVfAV_9lw/edit?pref=2&pli=1

Scripts should be shared with Discovery and Delivery to be used by members. Continue to be moved forward. Discussion to continue next week.


  1. Summer Meeting (Ray): I’d like to have an in-depth conversation about who to ask to participate in delivering these sessions. As you get commitments, confirm with Ray.

    1. https://www.orbiscascade.org/summer-meeting-2016/

    2. A list of the breakout topics DDT is responsible for (in addition to the one-day Summit and fulfillment training), in no particular order:

      1. Reference and instruction librarians’ roundtable discussion (I’d like to moderate and set some expectations for this one)(Dena and Stephanie will work with Ray on this)

      2. Primo 101 for front line staff (I think this is intended for Access Services folks?)

      3. Teaching with Primo (Barbara Valentine has volunteered to coordinate this session, and I think she’d be a good partner/mentor to some new contributors)

      4. Course reserves best practices (shows as partnering with Systems, which I don’t think is accurate) - this could be Mary and Stephen from UW (they did a presentation on the last Open Delivery Call)

        1. Jesse: I agree, not Systems. There’s a discovery component to course reserves, but the bulk of the work is done in Alma. It might fit better under the fulfillment section (see below)

      5. Primo 5 (shows as partnering with Systems - note that the Primo Assessment JWG also has a separate session) - Stephanie would be willing to help with this

      6. Primo Toolkit Roundtable (shows as partnering with Systems)

      7. Not ours explicitly, but there’s a lightning round session that’s open to all areas. Sign up onsite.

      8. Summit Day (and Fulfillment!)- who should be asked and for what topics?

      9. Analytics - There are multiple days/sessions set aside for analytics. This crosses over into multiple subject areas. How is the Alliance going to coordinate that? Are we planning anything specific in terms of Fulfillment and Resource Sharing? Ray conferring with Al.

  2. ELUNA Report Out from attendees - to be shared when completed


  1. Team positions - nominations open through Friday.


WG Updates

Summit 3 COE (Jesse)

  • AAR

    • Online instructions have been rewritten and are currently being reviewed by the SWG. We are going to talk about this on our call tomorrow. I’ll forward it to the D&D Team for review/approval after we’ve talked through it and then have Ray update the information on the website.

    • People on the last delivery open call also expressed interest in holding a special open call to walk through this AAR process. That needs to happen before they start generating their local submission lists (which is supposed to be done by the end of May), so this open call will also need to happen soon (Friday, 5/20?). Jesse and Ray will confirm date and time.

  • Summit Documentation

    • Shanel (WU), Dawn (OIT), and I are also working on writing up Summit documentation. At this point we’ve divided up the work and are creating draft documents/videos which we are archiving. Later we’ll go back and review them collectively and update the formatting/content to make them more uniform/consistent.

  • May Release - Summit request form mapping table

    • ExL released some new mapping tables for our Primo request forms in May. Resource sharing was not included in the mix. We asked about this on our call last week. Moshe says the resource sharing form is more complex than the others and requires additional development. They are planning on adding this mapping table in Alma later this summer (possibly July, but more likely in August).

Primo Release Testing (Stephanie)

  • May release installed to premium sandbox on Sunday, May 8

  • Deadline for feedback: Wednesday, May 18, 5pm. Starting to get responses.

Norm Rules (Lesley)

  • Republishing pilot project - still waiting on Ex Libris response to SF#218439.  “Canned” response on 5/2.  Maybe an ELUNA-related delay?

  • More NRWG site work discussions and decisions

  • Change builds are underway on SSbox.  No implementation timeline yet.


Additions from D&D Team Members

Reps meeting announcement on Thursday of Summer meeting. Ray will send out. Team members plan on attending Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.