Council Meeting Minutes
March 10 – 11, 2016
Lewis & Clark College
Building #14 AQ Smith Hall
March 10 Noon - 5 pm
March 11 9am – 12noon
* = FY16 Board of Directors
Tina Hovekamp (COCC)
Patricia Cutright (CWU)
Natalie Beach (Chemeketa)
Phillip J. King (Clackamas)
Michelle Bagley (Clark)*
Brent Mai (Concordia)
Karen Clay (EOU)
Suzanne Milton (EWU)
Merrill Johnson (GFU)
Lori Wamsley (LCC)
Elaine Hirsch for Mark Dahl (L&C)*
Patrick Wohlmut for Susan Barnes Whyte (Linfield)
Nancy Hoover (Marylhurst)
Megan Dugan (MHCC)
Chris Shaffer (OHSU)
Kelly V. Peterson-Fairchild (OIT)
Faye Chadwell (OSU)*
Isaac Gilman (Pacific)
Donna Reed (PCC)*
Dena Hutto (Reed)
Michael Paulus (SPU)*
John Popko (SU)
Jeffrey Gayton (SOU)
Greg Mullins (TESC)
Lynn Baird (UI)*
Adriene Lim (UO)
Drew Harrington (UP)
Marilyn Moody (PSU)
Betsy Wilson (UW)
Carolyn Gaskell (WWU)
Mari Krause (WPC) – Thursday Only
Jay Starratt (WSU)
Allen McKiel (WOU)
Mark I. Greenberg (WWU)*
Craig Milberg (Willamette)
Dalia Corkrum (Whitman)*
Amanda C. R. Clark (Whitworth) -- Thursday only; Friday proxy Dalia Corkrum
John F. Helmer; Executive Director*
Jodi Allison-Bunnell; Program Manager
Al Cornish; Program Manager
Elizabeth Duell, Events Coordinator
Kathi Carlisle Fountain, Program Manager
Ray Henry, Program Manager
Debora Place, Business Manager
Cassie Schmitt, Program Manager
Jane Carlin (Puget Sound),* proxy is Michelle Bagley
Scot Harrison (SMU), proxy is Michael Paulus
Thursday March 10
Katie Kodat, L&C Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, welcomed the Council
1. Welcome, Introductions, and review of agenda (Faye)
Attendees introduced themselves.
Council mentors introduced the new Council members:
- Lori Wamsley introduced by Adriene Lim
- Isaac Gilman introduced by Merrill Johnson
- Craig Milberg introduced by Dena Hutto
- Amanda C. R. Clark introduced by Faye Chadwell
- Phillip J. King introduced by Faye Chadwell
2. Update and discussion: Team goals for FY17 (Faye)
Faye Chadwell briefly updated and discussed the Team goals. Council members asked questions about the Team goals documentation
2.1 Continuing work on goals documents
Union document, a cross-comparison chart
2.2 Assessment Team work with teams on February 11, 2016 (Jodi & Karen Clay)
Karen Clay discussed the work and concerns of the Assessment Team
3. Discussion in preparation for Friday vote
3.1. Aggregating Digital Content (Faye)
Michael Paulus gave a brief introduction to the Board recommendation The Council discussed the recommendation and asked questions of Michael and Jodi Allison-Bunnell.
Board recommendation for Council consideration
Approve Aggregating Digital Content proposal developed by Content Creation & Dissemination Team and include in FY17 Budget.
Documents: CCD Report
3.2. Ebooks and Collection Development Guiding Principles (Faye)
Kathi Fountain presented an introduction to recommendations on Shared Content Team work on ebooks and collection policies and answered questions from the Council.
Approve Ebook proposal developed by Shared Content Team and include in FY17 Budget.
Approve Collection Development Guiding Principles proposal developed by Shared Content Team
3.3. Financial Framework (Michelle)
Michelle Bagley, Treasurer, went through the updated Financial Framework document and answered questions from the Council.
Approve the revised Financial Framework as drafted by Finance Team.
Document: Financial Framework
3.4. FY17 Budget (Michelle)
Michelle Bagley presented and answered questions during the discussion about the FY17 Budget.
Approve the FY17 as prepared by the Finance Team.
Friday March 11
New Member Breakfast
- Faye A. Chadwell
- Lynn Baird
- John F. Helmer
- Lori H. Wamsley and mentor Adriene Lim
- Isaac Gilman and mentor Merrill Johnson
- Craig Milberg and mentor Dena Hutto
- Phillip J. King
4. Brief updates
• Executive Director search (Faye Chadwell & Betsy Wilson)
• Summer Meeting (Suzanne Milton & Elizabeth)
• HR transition (Faye Chadwell)
5. Voting on recommendations (Faye)
See agenda item #3 for Board recommendations and documents.
• Aggregating Digital Content
The Council had a discussion about the proposal.
Vote: 36 in favor; 1 not in favor; 1 abstain – Proposal passed
Vote: Passed unanimously (37)
• Collection Development Guiding Principles
Council had a discussion about the proposal. Separating the last inset: ‘support for core academic programs and also geographical differences among the membership’ into two bullets
Vote: Passed unanimously (39)
• Financial Framework
Michelle Bagley discussed the clarifying adjustments that were proposed by Council.
Vote: 39 in favor with one abstention – Proposal Passed
• FY17 Budget
The Council discussed and asked questions about the FY17 Budget.
Vote: Passed Unanimously (39)
6. Shared ILS: update and discussion
• John Helmer introduced the updates and discussions. He also thanked the Council for the Professional Development award in his name.
• Al Cornish gave an update about the Alma system (Slides)
• Ray Henry gave an update about the Primo & Summit 3
• Cassie Schmitt gave an update about the Collaborative Technical Services
• John Helmer gave an update about the Leadership discussions with Ex Libris and answered questions from the Council.
• John Helmer discussed the Summary of issues (password protected)
Dalia Corkrum announced that Chris Cox, past Council member, is getting married today!
Patricia Cutright announced that Brooks Library was nominated for the IMLS Medal of Honor are in the 15 finalists. The final decision will be announced the end of the month.
John Popko announced Seattle University”s announcement for his exciting job and asked others to extend it to anyone who would be good for the Alliance.
Faye echoed this sentiment about University of Portland.
Meeting was adjourned.