Left Menu Right Menu

Council Meeting  #27

University of Oregon
White Stag Building (map | parking)
Portland, Oregon

Lodging: Silver Cloud Inn, 2426 Northwest Vaughn (directions)

November 11, 2010
Business casual dress
  • 12:00 noon - 5:00pm
    Business meeting,
    Room 142/144 (includes lunch)
  • 6:00pm
    Dinner at 
    Alexis Restaurant, 215 W. Burnside (directions)
November 12, 2010
Business casual dress
  • 9:00 am - 12:00
    Business meeting,
    Room 142/144
Council:
     
Daivd Bilyeu (COCC)
Patricia Cutright (CWU)
Natalie Beach (Chemeketa)
Michelle Bagley (Clark)
Brent Mai (Concordia)
Karen Clay (EOU)
Richard Wilson (EWU)
Merrill Johnson (GFU)
Marika Pineda (LCC)
Mark Dahl (L&C)
Patrice O'Donovan for
   Susan Barnes Whyte (Linfield)
Chris Shaffer (OHSU)
Karen Kunz (OIT)
Michael Boock for
    Faye Chadwell (OSU)
Marita Kunkel (Pacific)
Donna Reed (PCC)
Adriene Lim (PSU)
Vickie Hanawalt (Reed)
Scot Harrison (SMU)
Bryce Nelson (SPU)
Paul Adalian (SOU)
John Popko (SU)

Bill Bruner (TESC)
Deb Carver (UO)
Drew Harrington (UP)
Jane Carlin (UPS)
Betsy Wilson (UW)
Carolyn Gaskell (WWU)
Sue Kopp (WPC)
Jay Starratt (WSU)
Allen McKiel (WOU)
Christopher Cox (WWU)
Deborah Dancik (WU)
Dalia Corkrum (Whitman)
     

Proxy assigned to a Council member:  Jeff Ring (MHCC) proxy assigned to Donna Reed (PCC)

Absent, no proxy: Nancy Hoover (Marylhurst)

Staff:
John F. Helmer, Elizabeth Duell, Anya Arnold, Kyle Banerjee

Guests

  • Lynn Baird, University of Idaho
  • Karen Estlund, UO, Chair, Digital Services Team
  • Susan Hinken, UP, Member, Ebook Team
  • Emily McElroy, OHSU, Chair, EBook Team

Key Documents

Council Members
Board Members

Strategic Agenda

Board recommendations on Strategic Agenda

Team Reports

EBook Team final report*
CRL's Global Resources Forum*
Unnecessary Duplicate Threshold Recommendation
Shared ILS Team Final reportAppendix II: Total Cost of Ownership*
 Appendix IV: Sage Project Plan*
Network Library System Task Force status report*
Collaborative Technical Services Team Final report
Digital Service Team final report 
Draft Shared ILS RFI*
Conflict of Interest Policy
Summit Policy Task Force draft report
Finance Committee: charge, minutes
* = password required

Day 1 - Thursday November 11, 2010


1. Welcome, introductions, and review agenda (Harrington)

1.1 Introductions of new Council members:

  • Richard Wilson (EWU), introduced by Karen Clay
  • Adriene Lim (PSU), introduced by Donna Reed
  • Mark Dahl (L&C), introduced by Vickie Hanawalt

1.2 Introduction of guests (Harrington)

  • Lynn Baird, University of Idaho
  • Karen Estlund, UO, Chair, Digital Services Team
  • Susan Hinken, UP, Member, Ebook Team
  • Emily McElroy, OHSU, Chair, EBook Team

1.3 Introduction of Council members and Alliance staff

1.4 Review agenda


1200-1215

2. Strategic Agenda

Expected outcome: discuss team reports and Board recommendations, vote on recommendations occurs Friday morning.

2.1. Introduction (Starratt and Helmer)


1215-1230

2.2. Board Recommendations (Harrington)

Please see Board Recommendations on Strategic Agenda, 2011+ which was distributed to Council on October 19 and discussed via conference call on November 1.  For this meeting, the Strategic Agenda will be considered out of the usual order to accommodate our guests and facilitate discussion.

Recommendation 1: Ebook Pilot

Overview by Emily McElroy, OHSU, Chair, EBook Team; Susan Hinken, UP, Member, Ebook Team

The Board of Directors recommends that Council approve the creation of an Ebook Pilot as described in the Ebook Team report.    Work will be coordinated with the Collaborative Technical Services Team as described in Recommendation 4 below. Member libraries may choose to pay fees for this pilot in FY11 or 12.


1230-100

Recommendation 5: Digital Services

Overview by Karen Estlund, UO, Chair, Digital Services Team

The Board of Directors recommends that Council approve creation of a new Digital Services Team charged with overseeing the following (page numbers refer to the DST Final Report)
Recc 5.1 Events
    • Digital Services Day (p. 15)
    • Code4Lib Northwest (p. 5, 7)
 Recc 5.2 Pilot projects
    • Cloud sandbox service -- continue and expand as appropriate (p. 17)
    • Offline storage pilot -- continue and expand as appropriate (p. 4, 5, 8, 9, 19)
    • Cloud storage pilot -- discontinue (p. 5, 8)
 Recc 5.3 Shared Institutional Repositories
    • Fedora IR maintained by Alliance staff as a cloud application (p. 4, 5, 12, 52, 54)
    • D-Space IR maintained by WSU staff on a local server (p. 4, 54, 55, 57)
 Recc 5.4 Investigate further and report back on
    • Digital preservation (p. 5, 10, 21-29, 31-34, 48-51) 
    • Preservation training and policy (p. 4, 5, 10, 21, 29)
    • Scanning / Reformatting  (p. 4, 5, 13)


100-130

Recommendation 6: Cross Search Utility

Overview by Karen Estlund, UO, Chair, Digital Services Team

The Board of Directors recommends that Council charge the NWDA Steering Team to work on an IMLS National Leadership grant for a Cross Search Utility.  The NWDA ST will seek Board approval of estimated overhead costs (e.g., staff time, direct costs) prior to detailed grant writing.  Assuming approval to move forward, the NWDA ST will seek Board review and approval before submitting a final grant request. (p. 6, 14, 58-66)


130-145

Remembering Jim Kopp

A remembrance of our colleague Jim Kopp, followed by a 30 minute break.




145-230

Recommendation 2: Membership in WEST

Overview by John F. Helmer

The Board of Directors recommends that Council endorse the importance of WEST as a strategic initiative requiring participation by all members and requests that the Executive Director include consortial membership for WEST in the proposed Alliance budget for FY12.


230-300

Recommendation 3: Request for Information regarding a Shared ILS

Document: Draft Shared ILS RFI
Overview by John F. Helmer

The Board of Directors recommends that Council approve creation of a new Shared ILS Team chaired by the Executive Director and charged to develop a high-level statement of desired outcomes for use in a Request for Information (RFI) to be issued in late 2010.  A first draft statement will be shared with Council in November 2010.  In addition, the Team is asked to investigate and provide recommendations regarding governance of a shared ILS and potential legal issues and how they are to be addressed.


300-330

Recommendation 4: Collaborative Technical Services

Overview by Drew Harrington

The Board of Directors recommends that Council approve creation of a new Collaborative Technical Services Team charged with overseeing the following

Recc 4.1 Refining and implementing the recommendations of the Bibliographic Standards Best Practices Working Group (BP1) 
 
Recc 4.2 Working with Alliance staff to create an inventory of automated cataloging/acquisitions practices (BP2)

Recc 4.3 Overseeing two pilot projects
  • Ebooks: cataloging consortial purchases associated with the Ebook Pilot as described in Recommendation 1 above (EB1)
  • Cataloging monographs in Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean languages (FL2)
Recc 4.4 Organizing a Collaborative Technical Services Symposium to discuss current thinking in the profession, learn about the status of similar collaborative technical services efforts undertaken by other consortia, and discuss the results of Alliance pilots.
 
Recc 4.5 The Board further recommends that no further action be taken at this time on the following recommendations from the CTS report:
  • FL1: directory of members that can assist with foreign language cataloging
  • FL3 hiring a cataloger
  • GD1 Federal documents toolkit


330-400

Recommendation Concerning Duplicate Items in the Alliance Collection

Document: Unnecessary Duplicate Threshold Recommendation
Overview by Drew Harrington

The Collection Development and Management Committee's work is part of the Strategic Agenda. CDMC has forwarded the following recommendation to Council (note that this recommendation was not received in time for Board consideration).

The Collection Development and Management Committee recommends that Council charge CDMC with overseeing a voluntary pilot project in which participants agree to an unnecessary duplicate threshold of three (3) monograph copies.  CDMC will conduct the project over calendar year 2011, evaluate its impact, and provide recommendations to the Board and Council for the November 2011 Council meeting.


400-415

2.3. Other aspects of the Strategic Agenda (Harrington)

The document Board Recommendations on Strategic Agenda, 2011+ includes information about various other aspects of the Strategic Agenda.  This part of the agenda is an opportunity for Council members to comment and discuss any of these activities. 
  • SA 1.2 Collection Development & Management Committee
  • SA 1.3 Shared storage facility
  • SA 2.2 Web-scale Management System Pilot
  • SA 2.3 EOU and Evergreen
  • SA 5. Discovery
  • Concept of a combined event: noting that we are potentially going to host a large number of one day events in 2011 (see list below) and might miss the opportunity to discuss and present the broader scope of the Alliance and ways in which these efforts are interconnected, the Board is considering the possibility of hosting a multi-day event combining some of the various Alliance events currently held separately:
    • Summit Day (now including usability and public service topics similar to those included during WorldCat Discovery Day)
    • CDMC Annual Meeting
    • ERC Annual Meeting
    • NWDA Annual Meeting
    • Code4Lib
    • Collaborative Technical Services Symposium
    • Digital Services Day

415-500


Day 2 - Friday November 12, 2010


3. Conflict of Interest Policy (Harrington)

Expected outcome: vote to approve revisions.  Assuming approval, Council members will sign the policy; an annual process for Council and Alliance staff.
Document: Conflict of Interest Policy

Recommendation on Conflict of Interest Policy

The Board of Directors recommends that Council approve the revised Conflict of Interest Policy.
Background:
Question: In the Conflict of Interest policy Section V Paragraph B, it says "Each Officer, Director and employee…." Why doesn't it include Council members disclosing?
MOTION: Move that paragraph B include "Each Officer, Director and Council member and Employee..." Moved: Wilson; Seconded: Chadwell
Discussion: In this context, the "Council member" refers to the representative of the institution. The Member is the Institution that is being represented not the individual who is at the Council meeting.
Council concluded that we should not edit as a body of the whole and probably need to seek legal counsel before making such a change.  Since this is a policy document, revision is relatively easy.
MOTION WITHDRAWN Wilson withdrew her motion with the understanding that topic will be considered by the Board and return to Council.  Chadwell agreed.
-- Council minutes for 2010.07

900-930

4. Vote on Recommendations

Expected outcome: votes will be taken on each of the recommendations discussed on Thursday.
  • Recommendation 1: Ebook Pilot
  • Recommendation 2: Membership in WEST
  • Recommendation 3: Request for Information (RFI) regarding a Shared ILS
  • Recommendation 4: Collaborative Technical Services Pilots and Symposium
  • Recommendation 5: Digital Services
  • Recommendation 6: Cross Search Utility
  • Recommendation Concerning Duplicate Items in the Alliance Collection

930-1015

5. Updates and Council discussion

Expected outcome: Council discussion and feedback on work in progress.

5.1 Summit Policy TF (Carver)

Document: Summit Policy Task Force draft report

5.2 Finance Committee (Shaffer)

Documents: charge, minutes

5.3 Incorporation (Helmer)


1015-1100

6. Announcements & adjournment


1100-noon