Left Menu Right Menu

Council Meeting Minutes # 3: October 9-10, 2003

*********************************************
Orbis Cascade Alliance Council Meeting
October 9-10, 2003
Linfield College
Nicholson Library
McMinnville, Oregon
*********************************************

Present: David Bilyeu (COCC), David Kaufman (CWU), Patty Cutright (EOU),
Pat Kelley (EWU), Lee Lyttle (TESC), Jim Kopp (L&C), Susan Barnes Whyte
(Linfield), Nancy Hoover (Marylhurst), Jim Morgan (OHSU), Marita Kunkel
(OIT), Bonnie Allen for Karyle Butcher (OSU), Ben Wakashige (Pacific),
Leslie Riester (PCC), Tom Pfingsten (PSU), Vickie Hanawalt (Reed), Ray
Doerksen (SPU), Sue Burkholder (SOU), Deb Carver (UO), Rich Hines (UP),
Karen Fischer (UPS), Betsy Wilson (UW), Lynn Chmelir for Ginny Steel
(WSU), Gary Jensen (WOU), Bela Foltin (WWU), Henry Yaple (Whitman), Joni
Roberts for Larry Oberg (Willamette)

Absent: none.

Note: On Friday, Elaine Heras (L&C) served as proxy for Kopp, and Susan
Hinken (UP) served as proxy for Hines

Guest: Dalia Hagan, Library Director, O'Grady Library, Saint Martin's
College

Consortium Staff: John Helmer, Travis Honea

Meeting was chaired by Carver.

Marv Henberg, Dean of Academic Affairs, welcomed Council to Linfield
College.

1. Introductions
=====================================================

2. Review of agenda (Carver)
=====================================================

3. Approval of minutes from July 10-11, 2003 (Council)
=====================================================
** DECISION: Approved with minor revisions.

4. Reports
=====================================================
Executive Committee (Carver)
-----------------------------------------------------
-- Executive Committee discussed the process for hiring the Electronic
Resources Program Manager. Given that this is a program manager position,
Helmer has been asked to make a hiring recommendation to Executive
Committee.
-- The committee discussed and prioritized a lengthy list of assignments
from Council.
-- Committee principals, structure and charge for all committees were
reviewed.
-- Hanawalt joined Executive Committee to review RLSC progress.

Executive Director (Helmer)
-----------------------------------------------------
-- Summit
* Hooray! Record loading (which began on June 23) was completed on
September 30.
* Lending activity is probably up by 25% compared to Orbis and Cascade
figures for this time last year. We will know more as the academic term
progresses. Nathanson is monitoring lending patterns and is prepared to
make load-balancing adjustments as needed.
* Alliance Borrowing Day was very successful. Topics included a review
of how INN-Reach works, request to own site, loaning non-book material,
visiting patron, pickup anywhere, and communication.
* The new keyword index was implemented in early October.
* Likely dates for other features include
Genre & MeSH indexes: November
Bcode remap & journal scoping: December
Pickup anywhere: profiling in December, start in January
* Review of Summit PR plans and news release
* Z39.50 and MARC record exporting: Helmer reported that several
non-member libraries have requested Z39.50 access and MARC exporting
capability in order to use Summit as a source of MARC records for
cataloging.

** DECISION: Council does not want to support the use of Summit for this
purpose.

** ACTION: Helmer and Nathanson will remove the MARC export function from
Summit public interface (text and Web). At a later date, Council may
consider additional information about the provision of Z39.50 access.

-- Electronic Resources
Given that we are entering a period in which many renewals will be
completed, Helmer and Baker are planning to start the new electronic
resources process a bit early (i.e., prior to hiring an ER Program
Manager). They will contact ER reps from ICCL libraries to review the
renewal process, committee member responsibilities, use of the email list,
etc.

Helmer noted that he has reviewed ER Program changes with all PORTALS
members of the former Orbis Committee on Electronic Resources (CER).
Helmer asked if PORTALS Council is generally aware of changes being made
to committee structure and the ER program. Various PORTALS Council
members advised that a memo outlining these changes would be useful.

** ACTION: Helmer will send a letter to PORTALS Council providing
background on the new Alliance electronic resources program and assuring
continued participation in renewals.

-- Memorandum of Understanding
Almost all member institutions have returned MOU's with signatures. Only
two sets appear to have been misplaced on a member campus. Both will be
located, signed, and returned soon.

-- Staff positions
Electronic Resources Program Manager: Position closed at the end of
September. It is an extremely strong pool and the search committee plans
to work fast. Committee members are: Helmer, Debi Place, Tim Jewell (UW),
and Barbara Valentine (Linfield). Helmer proposed that member library
staff be invited to presentations which would be batched together and held
in the Portland/Vancouver area. He further proposed that the Search
Committee make a recommendation to Helmer, Helmer would make a
recommendation to Exec. Comm., and that the final request to hire would be
forwarded to UO as fiscal agent.

Resource Sharing assistant: Position is ready to advertise and should
close in October. Helmer proposed that he and Nathanson conduct the
search and interviews with input from Alliance staff.

** DECISION: Council approved the procedures Helmer proposed for filling
two new Alliance positions: Electronic Resources Program Manager, Resource
Sharing Assistant.

-- Data for Local Communities
This LSTA-funded project is almost ready for release. Council will review
the project at its next meeting.

-- Conferences
Helmer reviewed Orbis Cascade Alliance participation at the following
conferences
* Northwest ILL Conference
* Preserving America's Paper Resources (CRL-sponsored)
* International Coalition of Library Consortia

ICCL (Kelley)
-----------------------------------------------------
To date, the Council of Presidents has not indicated any new initiatives
for the coming year. Ease of transfer of library materials between
community colleges and baccalaureate institutions is a topic of interest.
ICCL is discussing the potential for requesting funds for science
journals.

OUS Library Council (Kunkel)
-----------------------------------------------------
Budgetary problems continue to dominate discussions although funding for
Orbis Cascade Alliance participation is still in effect. OUS Library
Council recently reviewed and approved the budget for Online Northwest.

PORTALS (Johnson)
-----------------------------------------------------
The consortium is discussing options for the future of PORTALS with
current and potential members. Consensus favors continued support for
PORTALS but with a new model based on lower membership fees. Activities
are likely to focus on resource sharing, continuing education, and
disaster planning.

Greater Western Library Alliance (Carver, Steel, Wilson)
-----------------------------------------------------
GWLA met on October 6 in Seattle. Wilson is incoming chair. The
consortium has been engaged in strategic planning and will focus
activities on resource sharing and scholarly publishing. The "Waters of
the West" IMLS grant proposal has been funded. Digital reference and
institutional repositories are also of interest. BioOne's business model
is under discussion as well. Some publishers have pulled out due to print
cancellations. Helmer noted that Alliance staff attach great importance
to working well with GWLA. Our goal is to make it easy for GWLA to
include all Alliance libraries in electronic resource purchases. Wilson
indicated that Orbis Cascade Alliance was held up as an example of a
successful consortial relationship.

OCLC (Carver, Hanawalt, Wilson)
-----------------------------------------------------
Board retreat was held in September with Members Council scheduled for
October. Record piracy is an issue of concern. Hanawalt indicated that
an OCLC "environmental scan" is forthcoming and should be very useful.
Once available, Hanawalt will forward information to Council. Meg
Bellinger's departure leaves a vacancy that will be hard to fill.

5. Regional Library Services Center: Update & Discussion (Hanawalt)
=====================================================
The RLSC Task Force met on September 29. The Task Force reviewed progress
to date with a particular focus on the July 30 "Funding Strategies
Meeting" of the RLSC Capital Construction Advisory Group. Three RLSC TF
working groups have been formed to focus on building consultants: business
plan, and an updated needs survey. Council discussed the site selection
process and agreed that the RLSC TF should forward a recommendation for
Council decision.

Some Council members expressed concern about the potential cost for those
libraries that do not plan to make use of RLSC for collections storage.
Hanawalt noted that, as currently envisioned, a service center would have
value for all members and it may be that all members will be asked to fund
the facility to some degree. The concern is that we need to avoid having
too much of the cost reflected in general overhead. Pfingsten noted that
much is still unknown about the business plan and recommended that Council
maintain its unified support for RLSC. Several funding options are being
explored and success may depend on unanimity of support from Council.

Carver asked when a planning office might be involved in the project and
Hanawalt indicated that the host institution's planning office would fill
that role. Bilyeu noted that "design-bid-build" can be a more expensive
process and suggested consideration of a "bid-build" process.

6. Committees (Carver)
=====================================================
6.1 Committee Principles: Review and adopt
-----------------------------------------------------
Council discussed the draft document and made several adjustments.

** DECISIONS:
-- Committee agendas should be posted on the Web prior to meetings
-- Committee chairs may be asked to meet with Council at any time (not
just annually)
-- Proxies will not be allowed on task forces or steering teams but can be
used for committees

Council discussed various alternatives for Interest Groups but returned to
endorsing the description as written with minor rewording. Topics
explored included using a different name such as Communities of Interest,
concerns about how well these groups would work if consortial support is
minimal, possibility of posting Interest Groups discussion on the Web,
archiving discussions, posting summaries on the Web, and forming a task
force to consider additional options.

** MOTION: Jensen moved that the Committees Principles document be
approved with minor revisions and issued along with a general introductory
memo from Carver. Recorder missed the second. The motion passed with 26
YES votes, and one NO.


6.2 Electronic Resources Committee
-----------------------------------------------------
Council discussed the draft document and made several adjustments.

** DECISIONS:
-- Make "Alliance staff" more specific by using "ER Program Manager" in
its place
-- Include reference to ER Program Manager as negotiator
-- Indicate that ER Program Manager is ex officio, non-voting member of
the Steering Team and Committee.
-- Council appointed a chair (serving through June 2006) and steering team
members.

** MOTION: Burkholder moved to accept the charge as revised. Yaple
seconded. The motion passed unanimously.

** ACTION: In order to initiate staggered appointments to the steering
team, Executive Committee was asked to determine which steering team
members will serve through June 2006 and which through June 2005.

** ACTION: Helmer will contact chair and steering team members to confirm
their participation.


6.3 Summit Borrowing Committee
-----------------------------------------------------
Council discussed the draft document and made several adjustments.

** DECISIONS:
-- Make "Alliance staff" more specific by using "Systems Manager" in its
place
-- Indicate that Systems Manager is ex officio, non-voting member of the
Steering Team and Committee.
-- Council appointed a chair (serving through June 2006) and steering team
members.

** MOTION: Kopp moved to accept the charge as revised. Hines seconded.
The motion passed unanimously.

** ACTION: In order to initiate staggered appointments to the steering
team, Executive Committee was asked to determine which steering team
members will serve through June 2006 and which through June 2005.

** ACTION: Helmer will contact chair and steering team members to confirm
their participation.

6.4 Summit Catalog Task Force
-----------------------------------------------------
Council discussed the draft document and made major revisions.

** DECISIONS:
-- focus the charge on contribution and display of catalog records
-- ask the Task Force to advise Council on those issues that may require
membership input on a continuing basis.
-- select Task Force members from a variety of functional areas including
catalogers, public service staff, and at least one Council member.
-- request a final report by September 1, 2004

Language of the final charge was determined to be as follows:
"The Summit Catalog Task Force is asked to describe issues related to
contribution, integration, maintenance and display of catalog records in
Summit. The Task Force is asked to advise Council on those issues that may
require membership input in the short term, long term, or on a continuing
basis."

** MOTION: Doerksen moved to adopt the charge as revised. Jensen
seconded. The motion passed unanimously.

** ACTION: Helmer will poll Council to collect nominations for the task
force membership and chair. Executive Committee will appoint task force
members and chair. Helmer will contact chair and task force members to
confirm their participation.

6.5 Collection Management Task Force:
-----------------------------------------------------
Council discussed the draft document and made minor revisions.

** DECISION: One RLSC Task Force member will be asked to serve on the
Collection Management Task Force.

** MOTION: Yaple moved to adopt the charge as revised. Hines seconded.
The motion passed unanimously.

** ACTION: Helmer will poll Council to collect nominations for the task
force membership and chair. Executive Committee will appoint task force
members and chair. Helmer will contact chair and task force members to
confirm their participation.

** ACTION: Helmer will revise committee documents (6.1-5), review with
Executive Committee, post on the Alliance Web site, and send a note to the
announcement email list.

7. Discussion Topics
=====================================================
Carver provided an introduction to discussion topics. Executive Committee
has been asked by Council to work on a number of topics. Executive
Committee has determined that the topics of initial interest are the role
of Executive Committee, role of Council, digital reference, and charging
for interlibrary loan. This meeting is being used to explore these topics
with Council and inform Executive Committee's work.

7.1-7.2 Role of Executive Committee and Council
-----------------------------------------------------
Council provided input to Executive Committee concerning the charge of the
Executive Committee as reflected in Bylaws, frequency of council meetings,
degree to which Executive Committee is a decision-making body, expanding
the size of the Executive committee, and advisability of investigating a
representational governance scheme. General consensus was as follows:

-- Powers
Executive Committee is not a decision-making body. Its primary role is
to prepare information and make recommendations for Council consideration.

-- Elections
Although there is some support for the present process of selecting
candidates, Council would like to consider other options. Executive
Committee should not simply select a slate. Council may be interested in
forming a separate committee to handle the nomination process. As with
committee appointments, factors such as library type, size, and location
should be taken under consideration but Council does not want Executive
Committee membership to be determined by any explicit or fixed
representational scheme.

-- Size
Council members generally agreed that Executive Committee should be
expanded to include two more members-at-large.

-- Meeting schedule
Council agreed that the current quarterly meeting schedule with two day
meetings works well.

-- Email voting
Council briefly discussed the pros and cons of email voting but did not
express an interest in pursuing further. Helmer noted that the process
for discussion and amendment can get complex and confusing when email is
used.

-- Remote conference technology
Council members would like to explore teleconference capabilities for
selected meetings. At a previous Council meeting, CWU agreed to
investigate and report back.

Many spoke in support of Council as the decision-making body and indicated
a wish to continue a tradition of free and open discussion and "loose
rule."

** ACTION: Based on Council input, Executive Committee will discuss these
topics further and report back to Council.

Helmer noted that Council discussions and decisions are not routinely
conveyed to staff at member libraries and suggested that the consortium do
more to ensure that information is disseminated. Council members agreed.

** DECISION: Council determined that "action items" (a brief and quickly
produced summary of council decisions) and approved Council minutes will
be made available on the Alliance Web site.

** ACTION: Helmer will post approved minutes and action items on the
Alliance Web site and a notice sent out on the announcement email list.

7.3 Digital Reference Survey
-----------------------------------------------------
Council discussed the Digital Reference Survey and discussed options for
further action. Most were interested in learning more but not prepared to
have the Alliance begin investigating a new consortial digital reference
service. Reasons for low interest included
-- not ready yet
-- no staff capacity to take on a new service
-- timing
-- not convinced of the value of such services
-- there are other higher priorities
-- just not interested

** DECISION: Council determined that the Alliance should host a "Digital
Reference Day." Such an event would feature member library experiences
and vendor presentations. It would occur after evaluation of the
"Answerland" project and include participation by a wide variety of staff.

** ACTION: Alliance staff will pursue remaining survey responses,
summarize results, link this document to the Alliance Web site, and post a
notice to the "announce" email list.

7.4 Interlibrary Loan
-----------------------------------------------------
Council discussed final results of the Interlibrary Loan Survey and
various ideas for additional action were discussed. Topics included

-- review of the Orbis "Free ILL" policy that was explicitly set aside as
part of the merger agreement -- interest in further exploration of new ILL
technologies -- interest in load-leveling -- some questioned the
assumption that the discontinuation of charging within the Alliance would
lead to a greatly increased volume of requests. Wilson noted that UW saw a
10-fold increase after initiating a reciprocal agreement with UO. WSU
participates in a GWLA agreement and Council is interested in hearing more
about their experience. -- is an ILL committee needed?

Wilson indicated that UW is modeling some options and would like to return
to Council with a proposal. Morgan and Chmelir indicated that this would
work well for OHSU and WSU as well. Wilson further noted that current
practice at UW has its roots in the former Pacific Northwest Bibliographic
Center (PNBC).

** ACTION: OHSU, UW, and WSU each volunteered to review institutional
policies and budget information and bring reports to Council for the April
2004 meeting. Each report will address those factors the institutions
determine would need to be in place before a consortium wide "free-ILL"
policy could be adopted.

8. Membership Application: Clark College (Carver)
=====================================================
Council reviewed additional application information from Clark College.

** DECISION: Council asked Executive Committee to continue the process of
evaluating Clark College's application by scheduling a site visit followed
by a membership vote in January.

** ACTION: Per standard membership application procedures, Helmer will set
up a meeting between Executive Committee and appropriate representatives
of Clark College. Executive Committee will be joined by Bilyeu.

Carver noted that the membership application process takes time and can be
made more complex if Council members provide updates and feedback to
applicants. Council members agreed that the Chair and Executive Director
should handle communication on official consortium business.

9. Council Meetings: location, business meetings, retreat
=====================================================
** DECISION. The January Council meeting will take place in the greater
Vancouver/Portland area on January 22-23, 2004 from noon to noon. Alliance
staff will research potential locations and provide a recommendation to
Carver.

This year, rather than a retreat, the April Council meeting will be a
standard business meeting held on April 8-9, 2004, from noon to noon,
location TBA.

10. Announcements
=====================================================
Council thanked and acknowledged the participation of two departing
members:

Tom Pfingsten, who is retiring from PSU
David Kaufman, who is ending his tenure as Interim director at CWU. David
will resume his faculty position as Tom Peischl assumes the position of
library director.

THANK YOU TOM AND DAVID!

Minutes -- Honea & Helmer