Left Menu Right Menu

Council Meeting Minutes # 1: April 2-4, 2003

*********************************************
Orbis Cascade Alliance Council Meeting
April 2-4, 2003
Skamania Lodge
Stevenson, Washington
*********************************************

Directors present: David Bilyeu (COCC), David Kaufman (CWU), Karyle
Butcher (OSU), Patty Cutright (EOU), Pat Kelley (EWU), Mindy Muzatko for
Lee Lyttle (TESC), Merrill Johnson (GFU), Jim Kopp (L&C), Susan Barnes
Whyte (Linfield), Jan Fortier (Marylhurst), Jim Morgan (OHSU), Marita
Kunkel (OIT), Drew Harrington (Pacific), Tom Pfingsten (PSU), Vickie
Hanawalt (Reed), Ray Doerksen (SPU), Sue Burkholder (SOU), Deb Carver
(UO), Rich Hines (UP), Marilyn Mitchell (UPS), Betsy Wilson (UW), Ginny
Steel (WSU), Gary Jensen (WOU), Béla Foltin (WWU), Henry Yaple (Whitman),
Larry Oberg (Willamette)

Consortium staff present: Debi Place, John F. Helmer, Travis Honea, Mark
Kibbey, Pam Mofjeld, Nancy Nathanson.

Absent: none

Guests: none

Meeting was chaired by Cutright.

==================
Wednesday Evening
==================

1. Introductory Session
=============================
Cutright welcomed everyone and reviewed the agenda.

1.1 INTRODUCTIONS & ROUNDTABLE
--------------------------------------
During this Wednesday evening opening session, Council members introduced
themselves and provided brief updates on recent library events, concerns,
and achievements. Many expressed great pleasure in forming the Orbis
Cascade Alliance.


1.2 EXCHANGE OF INFORMATION ABOUT ROOTS: ORBIS & CASCADE
--------------------------------------------------------
Steel: Cascade is the child of ICCL (Inter-Institutional Council of Chief
Librarians), the library directors from the public baccalaureate-granting
institutions in Washington. The group requested funding from the
Washington State legislature to create Cascade. Funding was awarded for
Cascade as part of the WCLP (Washington Cooperative Library Project),
which also funds selected databases (currently ProQuest and Chemical
Abstracts). The legislature continues to recognize WCLP as a successful
example of use of state dollars. In its original allocation, WCLP
received funding to purchase library catalogs and later developed a union
catalog system. That system wasn't an appropriate platform for
circulation so ICCL decided to implement INN-Reach. Cascade is a
tremendous success with use continuing to grow each year.

Cutright: Orbis is in its tenth year and is an example of how "poverty
leads to creativity." Five universities in the Oregon University System
(OUS) took note of the III union catalog development in Ohio and
approached the Meyer Memorial Trust to fund Orbis. Orbis became the first
group after OhioLINK to purchase what later came to be known as INN-Reach.
Linfield College and Willamette University expressed interest very early
and joined the consortium shortly after the system came up. As Orbis
added members, Whitman College led the way for members in Washington and
Central Oregon Community College became the first community college to
join Orbis. Over the next several years Orbis took responsibility for a
three-state courier system, created a successful electronic resource
purchasing program, and hosted a number of professional conferences.
Beyond merger, Orbis' major initiative is planning for the Regional
Library Services Center, a Harvard-style high-density storage facility.
A milestone was reached last year with OHSU and PSU becoming Orbis' 19th
and 20th members. Several Council members noted the vision and foresight
demonstrated by George Shipman, Library Director at UO during Orbis' early
years.

1.3 LOGO
---------
Council was presented with four logo designs, each featuring a different
graphic element with all reading "ORCA" and "Orbis Cascade Alliance."
Cutright indicated that voting through the placement of dots should be
concluded by Friday morning.

Council members offered a toast in recognition of the founding of the
Orbis Cascade Alliance and enjoyed a lively and informal discussion of
logo pros and cons.

===================
Thursday Morning
====================

3. MERGER
=========

3.1 MERGER UPDATE
-----------------
Helmer reviewed the many aspects of merger, from logo and governance to
committee structure and technology. Much effort has been placed on
developing detailed plans for catalog merger. Helmer, Nathanson, Mofjeld,
and Kibbey have met several times. The impact of merger on each group is
different. Thus, communication must be tailored to make sense to each
group. The staff team is quickly working toward the point where we have
one message to a single group. We are currently considering a plan for
consortium staff to visit each of the Cascade sites to meet with library
staff.

Helmer asked Council for a decision on when the consortium is officially
the Orbis Cascade Alliance. His recommendation is that the consortium
begin as of today, the first meeting of the new Council.

** Motion (Butcher): The Orbis Cascade Alliance begins as of today, April
3, 2003. Adopted unanimously.

3.2 MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING (MOU) AND BYLAWS
-------------------------------------------------
MOU: Helmer indicated that a final MOU has not yet been approved by
Attorney General Offices in Oregon and Washington. No problems have
arisen; the discussion just requires time to complete.

Council reviewed the current draft MOU and discussed sections concerning
the circumstances under which an institution might withdraw from the
consortium. Council members are satisfied that the MOU appropriately
addresses this possibility. It was further noted that section 4.1 would
need to be addressed if there were a change in the legal status of the
organization, for example if the consortium were restructured as a
non-profit corporation. Helmer noted that the current MOU would probably
be irrelevant under such a change and that other legal documents would
describe the consortium.

** Decision: Once available, consortium staff will 1) distribute the MOU
approved by Attorneys General for Council review, 2) seek unanimous
Council approval to begin securing signatures, and 3) produce signature
copies for each member institution, the consortium, and UO as fiscal
agent. Council's desire is that this draft serve as our final version and
that additional campus legal review will not be required.

Bylaws: Helmer noted that the MOU refers to several aspects of the Bylaws
and that it might be prudent for Council to adopt Bylaws prior to a more
extensive review. Council members favored adopting Orbis bylaws without
modification (except the name change), with the understanding that they
will be reviewed and revised as necessary.

** Motion (Kopp): Adopt Orbis Bylaws with appropriate name revision as the
Bylaws of the Orbis Cascade Alliance. Adopted unanimously.

3.3 TRANSITIONAL EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
------------------------------------
Council discussed the need to revisit the way the Executive Committee is
selected. Orbis' past practice of determining a large slate of candidates
served the organization well when membership was small, but with 26
potential names, this method will be too cumbersome. Perhaps a nominating
committee should develop a slate.

** Decision: The Transitional Executive Committee for FY03/04 is Deb
Carver, Chair; Patty Cutright, Past-chair; Merrill Johnson,
Member-at-Large; Pat Kelley, Member-at-Large, Betsy Wilson,
Member-at-Large. The Transitional Executive Committee for FY03/04 will
serve as a nominating committee for the FY04/05 Executive Committee.

** Decision: Council will examine the selection of Executive Committee as
part of a broader governance discussion over the coming year.

3.4 FY03/04 COUNCIL MEETING SCHEDULE
------------------------------------
** Decision: Council will meet on the second Thursday & Friday in January,
April, July, and October, with adjustments made to avoid conflict with
ALA.

Meeting dates were approved as follows:

July 10-11, 2003
October 9-10, 2003
January 22-23, 2004
April 8-9, 2004
July 8-9, 2004

3.5 CATALOG RECOMMENDATIONS
---------------------------
Helmer noted that Jerry Kline and Sandy Westall at III have been very
supportive from the beginning. Although INN-Reach merger is unprecedented
for III, they have been a great partner in working through new and complex
issues with the staff team.

ICCL libraries will be loaded into the Orbis database augmented with new
indexes and other features. The reason for this approach is pragmatic: it
is easier to load 6 databases into 21 rather than 21 into 6.
Philosophically the principle is to take the best of both; incorporate
everything, or make the choice to select the best option. For former
Orbis members, merger will yield some important functional improvements,
such as Scoping and unlimited web users. The new catalog will also offer
new features, such as Pickup Anywhere.

Helmer noted that III has been attentive and fair on the cost of the
project although he is less pleased with maintenance costs, which do not
recognize the savings to III for a single, merged system. The merger
agreement specifies that Orbis and Cascade will equally share the cost of
accomplishing merger. This agreement further authorizes Helmer to
negotiate up to a cap of $130,000. Helmer has negotiated a $139,106
package that includes hardware migration and the Pick-up Anywhere module.
Although one of these could be dropped to stay within budget, Helmer
recommends purchase of the full package.

** Motion (Yaple): Authorize Helmer to expend $139,106 on a III purchase
to accomplish catalog merger. Approved unanimously.

Kibbey noted that Cascade will discontinue requesting on June 6 with
loading and requesting scheduled for June 16.

Butcher expressed appreciation for ICCL libraries' willingness to
experience interruptions in service during this time. Kibbey noted that
that appreciation is shown by the fact that Orbis libraries are willing to
honor Cascade requests immediately, before record loading is complete.

3.5.1 CATALOG DESIGN TASK FORCE RECOMMENDATIONS
-----------------------------------------------
Mofjeld reviewed the Task Force's report and recommendations. CDTF was a
very productive group and Janet Crum (OHSU) did a particularly fine job as
chair. Helmer noted that some adjustment in colors and fonts might be
required once a logo is adopted.

** Motion (?): Approve recommendations of the Catalog Design Task Force
and include graphical adjustments recommended by our graphic artist when
the consortium logo is included.

Discussion: Council members asked if there are cost implications to
additional indexes. Mofjeld indicated that all are included in the
negotiated price.

Vote: Adopted unanimously.

** Decision: Once the catalog is launched, no changes to the interface
will be undertaken for a significant period of time. Executive Committee
will recommend a process and timeline for evaluating and revising the
catalog. Consortium staff will record comments from member library staff
but will not initiate substantive changes.

Doerksen indicated an interest in consortial purchase of INNOPAC scoping.

3.5.2 STAFF TEAM: RECOMMENDATIONS
---------------------------------
Nathanson reviewed the staff team recommendations:

- Include a MeSH index in the catalog, and remove MeSH from the "Other
subjects" index

- include a scope for serials

- do not include a Journal Title Index in the catalog

- adopt criteria for adding new records to the union catalog based on
Encoding level, Institution priority code, and "First record in."

- as soon as the Pickup Anywhere feature is installed, all member
libraries use INN-Reach Visiting Patron.

** Decisions: Council unanimously approved each recommendation as written
in the report.

Fines and fees:
Consortium staff see merit in both the Orbis and Cascade approach to fines
and fees. Council was asked to choose between two policies

1) all members use a standard fine for all borrowers, or

2) members each use whatever local fine structure they normally apply to
circulation transactions.

Council discussed the impact of fines on the timely return of library
material and discovered differing assessments of the value of overdue
fines.

** Decision: Member libraries will use local fine structures that normally
apply to circulation transactions. Butcher will work with Nathanson,
Mofjeld, and Kibbey to gather data concerning the impact of fines on the
timely return of library materials.

3.6 Resource-sharing policy review: INN-Reach borrowing & ILL
--------------------------------------------------------------
Council discussed the proposed policies outlined in "Orca Borrowing,
Interlibrary Loan, and On-site Borrowing Policy." While all Council
members were in agreement concerning INN-Reach policies, the proposed
policy that states that "members do not charge each other for ... ILL"
generated much discussion.

Helmer reminded Council that the merger agreement explicitly set this
issue aside for further discussion. ["With the exception of charging for
ILL, the Orbis Cascade Alliance will adopt all current Orbis consortium
policies and practices until revised by the ORCA Council. Orbis policy
states that members do not charge each other for INN-Reach borrowing or
traditional ILL. Cascade libraries would follow the policy of "free
INN-Reach" borrowing and, following additional consultation, may be able
to adopt the "free ILL" provisions of this policy in the future." --
Proposal for an Orbis & Cascade Merger October 2002, revised]

Morgan distributed a spreadsheet entitled "OHSU Interlibrary Loan Report
FY0102 (Oregon libraries, PORTALS, Orbis, Cascade)" and advised that OHSU
is reviewing policies concerning ILL. This review will be informed, in
part, by the potential end of the Oregon Net Lender Reimbursement program.

Wilson advised that UW's lending program operates on a cost-recovery basis
and that net lending runs about 6:1. It would be difficult for UW to
cease charging and at this point UW can't participate in an Orbis Cascade
Alliance free ILL program. Wilson suggested that Council gain some
experience with INN-Reach workflow and examine what other large consortia
are doing. It is her understanding that some consortia employ
load-leveling and end-of-year payments.

Steel advised that WSU net lending runs about 3.5-4:1 and the WSU could
not absorb such a sudden change.

Butcher wondered if it would be feasible to subsidize ILL requests at UW
and WSU.

Helmer noted that the technology of ILL is changing fast and much has
happened since the Orbis Task Force on Article Delivery analyzed options.
Perhaps the consortium should investigate new technologies that reduce the
cost of ILL.

Several Council members expressed a strong desire to continue working on
the costs, benefits, technology, and consortial policies regulating ILL.

** Decision. Council approved all INN-Reach borrowing policies outlined in
the "Orca Borrowing, Interlibrary Loan, and On-site Borrowing Policy."

** Decision. The Orbis Cascade Alliance does not have a policy concerning
charging for ILL. Council asked Executive Committee to advise Council on
the best approach to addressing this topic.

Consortium staff will revise the policy document to reflect these
decisions and link it from the "staffhome" page.

4. Executive Director Evaluation
================================
Council met in executive session.

5. Center for Research Libraries
================================
Council reviewed Orbis Council's April 2002 decision to leave CRL records
in the union catalog. At that time, III agreed to develop a custom
message that would display when patrons from non-CRL-member institutions
requested materials owned by CRL. Despite several communications between
Orbis staff and III staff since then, this message has still not been
implemented.

Council members asked if CRL's approach to group membership has changed.
Helmer indicated that recent discussions with Bernie Reilly have indicated
that no new models appear likely in the near term.

** Decision. CRL records will continue to be present in the union
catalog. Carver and Cutright will remind III of the importance of
creating an appropriate patron message.

6. REGIONAL LIBRARY SERVICES CENTER

====================================
6.1 RLSC PLANNING UPDATE
-------------------------
Hanawalt and Helmer reviewed progress to date, including needs survey,
development of a prospectus, successful Mellon and LSTA grants, creation
of site selection criteria, task force visits to several high-density
storage facilities, and meetings with campus administrators to explore
funding options and evaluate potential sites. The RLSC Task Force will
deliver site selection recommendations for Council's next meeting.

6.2 RLSC COLLECTIONS TASK FORCE.
-----------------------------------
Kunkel summarized the Task Force's draft "RLSC Operations Policies."
Council accepted the report as a useful starting point for storage
policies and thanked the task force for its efforts.

7. Electronic Resource Purchase Program
=======================================
Helmer presented a recommendation to create a new position, Electronic
Resource Program Manager, and establish a two-year pilot project that
would serve members and non-member academic libraries in Oregon and
Washington.

Council discussed the merits of this proposal and explored options.
Several themes emerged:

- Should the consortium serve non-member libraries? General consensus was
that this should be done if full costs can be recovered although some
indicated a preference for focusing on meeting membership needs.
- Growth in membership provides an opportunity to do things in a new way.
- Council reiterated the importance of committee membership and subject
specialists.
- The Orbis ER program has outgrown staffing and procedures originally
developed for a much smaller group. Annual reports from the Committee on
Electronic Resource (CER) have twice indicated that current operations are
not sustainable.
- Is full time appropriate and does the proposed salary fit the duties
envisioned? Helmer indicated that salary is based on a professional
position and should be on the low end for comparable positions in other
consortia. Helmer advised that consortial licensing and group purchasing
is complex and quickly evolving. Keeping track of the marketplace and
other collaborators is a specialized skill. Instead of settling down, the
issues have broadened, requiring greater skill.
- When a committee is doing the work, they may tend to follow individual
passions and interests and miss some products that should be investigated.
- This is an opportunity for doing something new together, especially
since libraries are experiencing reduced staffing. Some current
activities can be offloaded to a position such as this.
- Member libraries will continue to need in-house expertise because there
are many electronic resources that are purchased directly.
- Are our goals limited to replacing duties currently accomplished by the
chair of CER or does Council wish to expand the program, serve
non-members, and explore new options made available through merger and
continued growth?
- We need the special expertise this position could offer. This position
could be a resource or consultant for individual institutions working on
their own projects.
- This would provide an opportunity to work with community colleges. This
program would enable a fair sharing of the costs of doing so.

** Motion (Burkholder). Approve a full-time Electronic Resources Program
Manager for a two-year trial period as outlined in Helmer's report.
Motion passed with one abstention.

Wilson suggested that serving non-member libraries is a worthwhile goal
but need not be limited to academic institutions or institutions in Oregon
and Washington.

** Motion (Wilson). To create a program that offers selected products to
non-member libraries. Adopted unanimously.

Helmer will develop a position description in consultation with Executive
Committee. This position description will be shared with Council.

8. ADOPTION OF BUDGET FOR FY03/04
=================================
Helmer reviewed "Highlights of FY03/04 Budget Alternatives."

Some Council members advised that they would have preferred to see a
fuller justification of the Resource Sharing Assistant position while
others felt that this need was well known, expected in the new budget, and
clearly justified by the merger and predicted membership growth. Kibbey
noted that, in addition to increased workload, mission critical functions
such as INN-Reach support require a degree of back up and should not
depend on one individual.

Council retired after a full day of hard work and left logo selection and
the budget vote for Friday.

============
Friday
============

LOGO SELECTION
--------------
Cutright reviewed votes cast by Council and noted that a majority of votes
were cast for Logo #3 (stylized black orca fin encircled by teal-colored
open orb; under orb, two-line text in teal-colored sans serif font: ORCA /
ORBIS CASCADE ALLIANCE.)

** Motion. Adopt Logo #3 as the Orbis Cascade Alliance logo. Motion
passed with one dissenting vote.

BUDGET FOR FY03/04 (continued from Thursday)
--------------------------------------------
Council asked if the equipment and supplies figure included start-up costs
for new positions. Helmer said that it does. He further indicated that
although the Resource Sharing Assistant is expected to occupy current
staff office space, he would like to maintain flexibility in the location
of the ER Program Manager. This position could be based in another city
in Washington or Oregon, at another member institution, etc.

Motion (Burkholder): Approve Budget Option B. Approved unanimously.

Membership fees will be based on Budget Option B revised to include
updated FTE figures. Helmer noted that it generally takes some time to
receive all the FTE numbers required to make final budget calculations.

9. MEMBERSHIP
==============
9.1. REVIEW OF MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION PROCESS
------------------------------------------------
Council reviewed membership criteria and observed that the organization
could grow to be much larger. Helmer noted that participation in some
services administered by the Orbis Cascade Alliance, such as electronic
resource purchasing or courier, does not necessarily imply membership.
Although participation in the union catalog currently requires membership,
the consortium could consider INN-Reach participation as a service
provided at a fee.

** Decision. Council approved current documents describing membership
criteria, application, and site-visits.

9.2 PORTLAND COMMUNITY COLLEGE
---------------------------------
Cutright reported that PCC has been offered membership but asked that
Council reconsider the institutional definition of PCC and extend
borrowing privileges to students at Columbia Gorge Community College and
Tillamook Bay Community College. Council is not prepared to revise
membership criteria at this time but this is clearly a topic that will be
revisited in the future. Helmer and Cutright will draft a response.

9.3 CASCADIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE
---------------------------------
Wilson reviewed the status of Cascadia Community College. The campus
library is the UW-Bothell/Cascadia Library, with completely commingled
staff and collection, and integrated services. CCC provides funding to UW
for a portion of the costs associated with the operation of this library.
CCC has been participating in Cascade as part of UW. Physical sharing of
building, staff, and collection distinguishes this situation from PCC.

Wilson recognizes that CCC probably would not be included under current
consortium policies but requests that CCC be allowed to continue on this
basis for two years, while they investigate options for the future.
Options might include separate institutional membership, service contract
for participation, associate membership, or discontinued participation.

** Motion (Butcher): Accept the proposal to include Cascadia Community
College for a two-year transition period and consider options by the end
of that period.

Discussion: CCC student FTE should be included in UW's FTE for the purpose
of determining membership fees. Because this is a pre-existing
arrangement in Cascade, it will be continued for now as the consortium
mission, membership criteria, and policies evolve.

Vote: Motion adopted unanimously.

9.4 APPLICATIONS
-----------------
9.4.1 St. Martins College
-------------------------
Application received, site visit to be scheduled. Council vote on
membership to be scheduled for July.

9.5 ADDITIONAL MEMBERSHIP CONTACTS
-----------------------------------
Helmer reported on a notable uptake in membership interest subsequent to
announcement of merger. Helmer briefly reviewed discussions with Seattle
University, Walla Walla College, Clark College, the Independent Colleges
of Washington, Oregon Private Academic Library Link, the Oregon State
Library, the Washington State Library, and the Washington Library & Media
Directors Council. Most contacts have expressed enthusiasm for the
merger. Those running an Endeavor system would like to see the consortium
actively pursue inclusion of this platform in INN-Reach.

** Decision. Council determined that merger and RLSC are our top
priorities and that the Orbis Cascade Alliance is not currently prepared
to actively pursue membership by non-academic libraries, group membership,
or the technology associated with non-INNOPAC participation in the union
catalog. Such membership topics may be addressed after the mission and
priorities of the consortium are evaluated over the coming year.

Cutright and Helmer will respond to written inquiries from the Independent
Colleges of Washington, Oregon Private Academic Library Link, and the
Oregon State Library.

9.6 MEMBERSHIP PRIORITIES
--------------------------
Council would like Executive Committee to consider membership priorities
in the light of mission and other factors over the coming year.

10. CONSORTIUM GOVERNANCE
=========================
Council is interested in reviewing consortium governance. Preparation by
Executive Committee will be required prior to Council discussion and
decisions. Topics include

- Selecting nominees for Executive Committee election
- Executive Committee membership: number of members, potential
representation by type of library
- Transitional Executive Committee: chair-elect for FY04/05, duration of
transitional committee
- Role of Council
- Role of Executive Committee, including degree of commitment and
individual responsibilities
- Decision-making: voting, majority vs. consensus; who votes, and whether
proxy voting is allowed
- Communication with committees
- Meetings: frequency, location, means of participation, logistics

11. COMMITTEE STRUCTURE
=========================
** Decision: Council reviewed and approved the draft charge for a Task
Force on Committees with the deadline revised to May 31, 2003.

Membership includes:
Council members - Kopp (Chair), Foltin, Barnes Whyte. [Barnes Whyte
later withdrew in favor of Bilyeu]
Past committee chairs - Lynn Chmelir (WSU), Kirsten Erickson (CWU),
Loretta Reilly (OSU), and Susan Hinken (UP).

12. SUMMER MEETING
==================
After reviewing the history and purpose of summer membership meetings
(providing an opportunity to meet colleagues, continuing education,
professional development, committee meetings, etc.), Council determined
that this is a uniquely challenging year to host such a meeting. This is
a year that brings acute strains on library and consortium resources.
Council considered postponing the summer meeting to early August and other
options such as organizing daylong events around special topics, held
throughout the year. Helmer indicated that consortium staff would have
great difficulty arranging a high quality membership meeting this summer.
As an alternative, Helmer recommends that staff associated with INN-Reach
circ meet in July, perhaps followed by electronic resources in the fall,
collection development, and so forth.

** Decision. Council will meet in July but a summer membership meeting
will not be held this year. In its place, the consortium will schedule
meetings around critical topics. The first such meeting will focus on
INN-Reach circulation and is likely to be scheduled in July.

13. ORCA GOALS FOR FY03/04 AND BEYOND
========================================
The immediate future is clear: merger, RLSC, and membership growth
represent a great deal of work for the coming year. Council will return
to strategic planning and the development of new initiatives at its next
retreat.

Council concluded its first retreat and noted the remarkable scope of
topics covered in a relatively short time by such a large group. Hooray
for the Orbis Cascade Alliance!

Minutes -- Nathanson & Helmer.