Left Menu Right Menu

Board Meeting 2013 September 30

Board Meeting #28

September 30, 2013
2:00 - 3:30 pm

GoToMeeting

Board

Chris Shaffer, Chair y
Jane Carlin, Chair-elect y
Jay Starratt, Past Chair y
Deb Carver, Treasurer (FY13 & 14) y
Scot Harrison, Secretary (FY13 & 14) y
Susan Barnes Whyte, Member-at-Large (FY13 & 14) -- not expected to be present
Natalie Beach, Member-at-Large (FY13 & 14) y
Lynn Baird, Member-at-Large (FY14 & 15) -- not expected to be present
Merrill Johnson, Member-at-Large (FY14 & 15) y
John F. Helmer, Executive Director (ex officio & non-voting) y

Agenda


1. Vision, Mission, and Strategic Agenda (Chris)
Expected outcome: discuss and revise draft document; forward for Council discussion and adoption in November.
Document: Vision, Mission, and Strategic Agenda

Review of document prepared by Chris, Susan, Lynn, and John. The Board discussed the draft.

Action: Chris will send out his notes from the discussion to the Board. Board members are encouraged to provide comments and wording suggestions, sharing with the entire Board. Also need to think about the process for the November Council meeting.

[Jane noted that many institutions have a value statement that outlines how we work collaboratively. Include non-profit status in description, that we are a member organization. Put initiatives as action verbs. Emphasize more our collaborative nature. Align the vision statement with the initiatives (eg, one collection).]


2. Center of Excellence: period of agreement and appointment to Leadership Team (Chris & John)
Expected outcome: Appoint a member of the COE Leadership Team.
Document: Center of Excellence (password protected)

Chris noted that the final discussion point had been resolved, and the COE will continue for the full length of the contract. Chris reported that two nominations have been received for the Leadership Team, Jay Starratt and Susan Barnes Whyte. The Board approved both members of the Leadership Team. Other member positions are ex officio.


3. Broadening of the charge of the SILS Policy Team to include Collaborative Technical Services and other Alliance groups. (Chris)
Expected outcome: discuss concept and determine next steps (e.g., Board review of a draft in October, recommendation to Council in November)

There was general consensus that policies should be reviewed and approved by a single team, not separate teams for Collaborative Technical Services and one for (other) SILS policies. The Board reminded itself that the Policy Team only focuses on ‘high-level issues that impact the Alliance as a whole.’ Collaborative Technical Services and SILS teams should be empowered to make decisions.

Action: John and Chris will work with Betsy on a revised charge and Policy Team title, bring to the board in October, so we can bring to Council in November.


4. Shared ILS Implementation Team (John)

Expected outcome: Update and Board approval for Executive Director to work with teams to revise membership as needed.

SILS Team membership: Process for replacing members over time

Discovery Working Group: need for additional expertise

Training Working Group: revised group is up and running

John will work with the current Discovery WG chair and team members to determine availability and fit, rather than approach this with a longer nomination process.

5. Updates

  • Shared ILS (John)

C2 certification: Alma in early November, Primo shortly thereafter

MARC holdings data extraction and III

UW site visit and task force—4 or 5 principles from Ex Libris in site visit to UW, a positive one

  • Collaborative Technical Services Symposium (Chris)
  • Finance Committee (Deb)

The Finance Committee met September 24th. The focus of the committee this year will be on the Moss Adams recommendation on the reserve (’establish and document a reasonable operating reserve’) and executive compensation policies to maintain compliance with IRS rules.

  • 20th Anniversary Celebration (Jane & John)

Documents: Poster, Word cloud, Trivia

  • Professional Development Awards (Chris)

Nathalie, Donna Reed, and Fay Chadwell will serve on the review panel and will make the announcement at the event.

Action: Chris will send out a reminder about the application process.

  • New CMS (John)

Project is well under way and should have a cutover by January. Jodi and Keith are working with the vendor, Sitecraft of Tacoma.

6. Topics for the future (Chris)

Committee structure

Replacing Team members and avoiding burnout

How do we ensure that we are developing shared practices to a sufficient extent and not diverging too much?