Left Menu Right Menu

Orbis Cascade Alliance Board Minutes

October 15-16, 2015

Present:

Faye A. Chadwell, Chair

Lynn Baird, Chair-elect

Jane Carlin, Past Chair

Michelle Bagley, Treasurer (FY15 & 16)

Michael Paulus, Secretary (FY16)

Dalia Corkrum, Member-at-Large (FY15 & 16)

Mark I. Greenberg, Member-at-Large (FY15 & 16)

Mark Dahl, Member-at-Large (FY16 & 17)

Donna Reed, Member-at-Large (FY16 & 17)

John F. Helmer, Executive Director (ex officio & non-voting)

Guests


Assessment Team

Annie Downie (Reed), Chair

Jodi Allison-Bunnell, Program Manager


Content Creation and Dissemination Team

Trevor Bond (WSU), Chair

Jodi Allison-Bunnell, Program Manager


Discovery and Delivery Team

Kelly Peterson-Fairchild (Oregon Tech), Chair

Keith Folsom, IT Manager


Systems Team

Wade Guidry (UPS), Chair

Al Cornish, Program Manager



Cassie Schmitt, Program Manager

Kathi Fountain, Program Manager

Key Documents

Finance Team: Draft goals | 990 refiling (password protected)

HR Task Force: Recommendations | Consultants' report (password protected)

Primo issues outline: Discussion document

Digital resources and Alma COE: Discussion document (password protected)

Policy Workflow: Workflow phases | Workflow notes/tips

Assessment Team: Report | Ebook Assessment Report

Content Creation and Dissemination Team: DPLA Proposal

1. Welcome and agenda review (Faye)

The meeting began on Thursday, October 15, at 1 p.m.

An update was provided on the membership applications of Clackamas Community College and Whitworth University, which are scheduled to be on the agenda for the November 6 Board meeting.

2. Finance Team (Michelle)

Decision: The Board reviewed and approved changes to charge and goals of Finance Team. See Draft goals document. Board agreed to share these with Council.

Decision: The Board discussed and approved the team’s plan to re-file FY12, FY13, and FY14 tax returns to correct an error made in 2012 and corrected in 2013. See 990 refiling document. Board will update Council.

Decision: The original off-cycle budget request for the Executive Director search for $30,000 is not sufficient to cover the current estimated cost of $65,000. The Board unanimously approved another off-cycle request for an additional $35,000, which will come out of the operating reserve. The chair will share this decision with Council.

3. HR Task Force recommendations (Faye)

Decision: The Board reviewed and discussed the Human Resources Task Force recommendation to pursue a change in payroll and benefits administrative structure. The Board asked for more information about support for HR issues, benefit costs, and other risks. The Board unanimously voted to present the recommendation to Council. John will revise cover memo to remove dollar figures from the pro/con list since these figures can be misleading and are already included in the consultants’ report. See HR Task Force Recommendations and Consultants' report.

4. Discussions

Primo consistency/standardization across the Alliance (Kelly, Wade, Al, and Keith via GTM)

The Board discussed with guests issues related to customizations of local instances of Primo, which complicate system enhancements and collaborative work. How do we establish a baseline experience and take advantage of innovative enhancements? The Board will continue to discuss the urgency of this issues and a way forward for establishing standards. Board felt that development of Primo 5 will provide a major new opportunity for improvement. The Chair will share the report and provide an update for Council. See Discussion document.

Digital resources and Alma COE (Al and Jodi via GTM)

The Board discussed with guests Alma’s emerging digital management services. The Board agreed on the importance and priority of accomplishing Phase 1 (aggregation). Board felt that Ex Libris work in this area needs to represent a step forward in functionality, not just replicate current systems. See Discussion document. The Board agreed that John will talk to the COE Leadership Team about their likely dissolution.

Policy Workflow (Cassie)

The Board reviewed the workflow initially created by Alliance staff and reviewed by teams, including the Policy and Coordination Team. The Board commended the framework and agreed that it should be shared with Council. See Workflow phases | Workflow notes/tips.

The meeting adjourned at 6:30 p.m. and reconvened on Friday October 16, 8:30 a.m.

The meeting started with updates from the Executive Director on the Program Manager search, organizing a group of consortia using Alma.

5. Assessment Team: Ebook report and recommendations (Annie and Jodi via GTM)

The Board discussed with guests goals and structure of the Assessment Team and their Ebook Assessment. See Board Report | Ebook Assessment Report.

The Board asked that the Joint Working Group focus on customizations that could be included in the Primo 5 release. It would be helpful to understand why customizations have been made.

The Board agreed that the qualitative assessments of the ebook program should focus on external users, but that including the perspectives of internal users could be helpful.

The Board discussed the desire for a common data set, which the Assessment Team is charged with generating. John believes this was outlined as part of assessment work and will ask Jodi to check on the status of this project with the goal of producing and maintaining a set of data for Council use.

Decision: The Board discussed but did not approve the Assessment Team’s request for appointing liaisons from other teams. As an alternative, Board asked that Assessment Team members serve as liaisons to other teams as needed. As liaisons they would function as experts and guides for projects.

As a way to embed assessment in the Alliance, Board suggested developing project proposal and team charge templates that specifically include sections on how assessment will be addressed. The Board agreed that the team could use more direction in goals and approach and that establishment of assessment goals should follow and be informed by determination of goals for other teams.

Decision: The Board will invite team chairs and program managers to participate in the February Board meeting in Seattle with the goal of determining team goals for FY17 and informing Council’s adoption of a budget in March.

6. Content Creation and Dissemination Team: Digital Public Library of America report (Trevor and Jodi via GTM)

Trevor presented a case study of how scattered primary materials could be used in aggregate to support complex undergraduate learning and research. The Board discussed with guests the Content Creation and Dissemination Team proposal to further explore having the Alliance become a DPLA Service Hub.

Decision: The Board unanimously agreed to endorse and forward the DPLA proposal for Council consideration in November. See DPLA Proposal.

7. Executive Director Search (Faye, executive session)

See minutes for the Executive Session.

8. Short updates (John)

Upcoming visit on October 23 with Ex Libris’s Yair Amsterdam, Melissa Hilbert, and Matt Baker to review concerns about development requests and other issues.

WIN is moving to Alma and inquired about reciprocal borrowing with Alliance, but we are not ready to explore at this point.

The data sharing and privacy MOU is still pending review by Washington’s Attorney General. The analytics project is moving forward to mask private information. Visiting patron still turned off; not currently working on a technical fix.

Plan to join IGeLU, a membership that would include all Alliance members, and send Al to the next conference.

NWACC will sponsor a conference in the spring and invite all Alliance directors.

9. Council agenda for November (Faye)

· Membership applications

· Finance Team goals and re-filing (information item)

· Update on membership fees for FY17

· Off-cycle budget request for ED search

· HR Task Force recommendation (with an optional phone call in advance)

· Primo consistency (update)

· Digital resources (update)

· Policy workflow (update)

· Assessment Team report (information item)

· DPLA exploration: Board recommendation for Council approval. Background summary from DPLA distributed in advance. Mark will remind everyone what has been previously shared and Trevor can present what he presented today.

· Personnel

o PM update

o ED update (executive session)

· ProQuest update

· Open ended discussion of topics raised by Council members

The next Council meeting, November 12-13, will start Thursday at 11:30 a.m. and end at 5:30 p.m., and start Friday at 8:30 a.m and end at 12:30 p.m.

The meeting adjourned at 12:15 p.m.

Submitted by Michael Paulus, Secretary