Left Menu Right Menu

Orbis Cascade Alliance Board Minutes

January 19, 2016

Present:

Faye A. Chadwell, Chair

Jane Carlin, Past Chair

Michelle Bagley, Treasurer (FY15 & 16)

Michael Paulus, Secretary (FY16)

Dalia Corkrum, Member-at-Large (FY15 & 16)

Mark I. Greenberg, Member-at-Large (FY15 & 16)

Mark Dahl, Member-at-Large (FY16 & 17)

John F. Helmer, Executive Director (ex officio & non-voting)

Absent:

Lynn Baird, Chair-elect

Donna Reed, Member-at-Large (FY16 & 17)

1. Welcome & agenda review (Faye)

The meeting began at 1:03 p.m.

2. UO human resources (Faye)

The Board discussed next steps for implementing the recommendations of the HR Task Force approved by Council in November. Faye will reconvene the HR Task Force to begin outlining next steps.

3. Finance Team (Michelle)

3.1 FY17 Budget preview

The Finance Team will review a draft FY17 budget at its next meeting. The budget will be ready for review at the February Board meeting.

3.2 Finance Team recommendation: Place the Operating Reserve in a 6 mo CD

The Board approved the Finance Team”s recommendation to invest $500,000 of the operating reserve into a low-risk, six-month CD to earn a higher interest rate as a pilot.

4. DPLA status check (John)

The Board discussed the Content Creation & Dissemination Team”s update on DPLA and John”s email conversation with Emily Gore. The Board agreed to communicate the following to DPLA:

· Alliance interest in becoming a service hub for some or all of our members

· Alliance intent to consider later the potential for serving non-members

· Clarifying our expectation that the Alliance region would be Oregon, Washington, and Idaho for the purposes of considering DPLA service to non-members

· Repeating our understanding of DPLA membership fees (see John”s email)

· Invitation to engage with the Board at the February meeting

John and Faye will collaborate on a draft for Board review. See CCDA's DPLA update (password protected).

5. COE leadership (Faye)

The Board discussed feedback about the Board assuming the role of the COE Leadership Team. The Board determined that the COE Leadership Team should be discontinued and that the Board should remain directly involved in SILS leadership as long as that initiative is of such direct importance to the membership. The Board felt that feedback from group members was very useful and discussed ways to expand engagement with Council members around SILS-related issues. See Comments & feedback (password protected). Engagement to include: communication to Council about where all the minutes and reports of various teams are located and the listserves for them; establishing quarterly phone meetings with Council to discuss issues with SILS or about other Alliance-related concerns; inquire about Council”s concerns related to SILS in preparation of Board meetings with ExLibris leadership. John and Faye will collaborate on a message to the COE Leadership Team and an update for Council.

6. Preview of February 11-12 Board meeting

The Board discussed the proposed agenda for its next meeting, February 12, 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m., and February 13, 8:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. An updated agenda will be distributed prior to the meeting.

The meeting adjourned at 2:41 p.m.

Submitted by Michael Paulus, Secretary