March 17, 2016
Back to Blog
Getting Up-and-Running with the PBO
The Primo Back Office (PBO) is where you customize many elements of the Primo user interface (for a breakdown of what elements in the Primo UI are configured here, see the article "PBO vs. Alma in the Primo Display") This guide will go over common tasks in the PBO, where to find them, and provide a general roadmap. The Primo Online customer help is also a great resource, especially if you do not see what you are looking for here.
Note that the IP address of the computer you are using needs to be registered with Ex Libris in order for you to access the PBO.
Frequently used places
- Primo Utilities - File Uploader : This is where you can upload CSS, HTML, and graphic files to customize your Primo interface. Examples include your institution’s logo, header and footer HTML, or colors and fonts in a CSS file. This area may also be used to store other types of data needed by any other modifications made. See the article "Uploading CSS, HTML, and Mashup Skins to the PBO" for more detailed information on this functionality.
- Primo Analytics: Build and run reports and statistics on Primo activity. This uses the same interface that Alma Analytics uses.
- PNX viewer: The PNX record (Primo Normalized XML) shows what information in a record is coming from where. You can get this by entering the record ID into the PNX viewer, or open the details tab of a record in a new window, then add &showPnx=true to the end of the URL.
- Ongoing Configuration Wizards - Views Wizard: The views wizard allows you to add, delete, and alter your Primo views. This is possibly the place you will use the most when making PBO based changes to the user interface.
Other places of interest
- Pipe configuration wizard: Pipes allow you to import records from outside collections in the Primo interface. For instructions on how to do this, see the article "Importing Records into Primo from OAI Repositories".
- Advanced Configuration - All Code Tables: This table is where you can change labels for many of the Primo interface elements. Each table corresponds to a different set of labels in Primo.
- Advanced Configuration - All Mapping Tables: Allows you to change map paths for various tasks and utilities or enhancements governed by the PBO.
View-only areas of the PBO
- Advanced Configuration - Full Normalization Rules Configuration: Normalization rules that control the transition of data from Alma to Primo show up here. These are governed at the Alliance level, and are the same for all Alliance participating institutions. Requests to change norm rules may be made through the Norm Rules Working Group. If you create pipes for importing records, you will typically create new normalization rules for those, which you can modify here.