- assisting catalogers in finding and using authorized headings
- identifying headings in new bib records that match or do not match an authorized heading
- automated updating of unauthorized headings to authorized forms
- identifying headings that have been automatically updated but may need additional review
- identifying headings which could not be safely updated to an authority form and need review and/or updating by a cataloger
- updating bibliographic headings in response to changes in authority record headings
Phase 1: Explore current Alma functionality related to authority control, document Alma functionality gaps, and review authority control options available in OCLC’s WorldCat/Connexion. Phase 1 will lay the groundwork for the COE Initiative.Phase 1B: During this phase, the Authority Control Group is charged with continuing to explore and document current Alma functionality related to authority control. See detailed areas to cover in Phase 1B.
Phase 2: Work with Ex Libris staff on implementing existing Alma authority control functionality where possible, including consulting with Ex Libris on the design of the authority control task list, advocating for Alma enhancements where necessary, working with Ex Libris to design enhancements that meet our needs, and test enhancements as they become available.
Phase 3: Develop authority control workflows that accomplish authority control goals and tasks within our unique Alma environment, and an Alliance-wide collaborative model for supporting authority control in Alma.
|Abby Bibee, Chair (May 2016-forward)
Ryan Hildebrand, Chair (Fall 2015-April 2016)
|University of Oregon
|Karen Highum||University of Washington|
|Wayne Richter||Western Washington University|
|Andriana Yovcheva||Pacific University (until October 2016)|
|Lihong Zhu||Washington State University|
|Bob Thomas, TSWG Liaison||Western Washington University|
|Cassie Schmitt, COE Liaison||Orbis Cascade Alliance|
Authority Control Group Phase 1b Report: Sandbox testing (September 2016)
Abby Bibee (Reed), "Authority Control: Update on Current Landscape," Orbis Cascade Alliance Summer Meeting, Portland, OR, July 13, 2016. - pdf
Authority Control Group Phase 1 Report (March 2016)