After each monthly Alma release is installed in the Alliance sandbox environment, the Alliance and the member libraries have only five days to test new and changed features in the sandbox before the release is installed in the production environment. The Alliance currently does not have a prescribed process for insuring the necessary testing is accomplished, problems identified and reported to Ex Libris, and any potential policy decisions are identified and discussed. In addition, we are not using a collaborative workforce approach that could prevent duplication of effort and minimize staff time required to test each release.
The Alliance Alma (TS) Monthly Release Testing Group is charged with developing and documenting a process for testing new features and resolved issues (related to Technical Services) in the Alma monthly release, prior to their release on Production, and disseminating test results to Alliance institutions. The features to be tested will not include those that are clearly the responsibility of other Alliance teams, e.g., fulfillment and systems features. To that end, the group will:
- Develop a process by which new features and/or resolved issues are reviewed to determine their potential effects on our specific Alma environment (including the Network Zone)
- Develop a process by which new features and/or resolved issues are tested in the Alliance”s Alma sandboxes prior to the release on Production
- Develop a process by which new features and/or resolves issues with a negative impact are then forwarded to Ex Libris for review and Alliance institutions notified
- Recommend an approach for managing the monthly release testing process
- Consult widely with Alliance institutions and the appropriate Alliance Program Manager on how best to test and then disseminate test results
TSWG will provide a liaison to the group. The liaison is a resource for clarifying the charge and will check in periodically to ensure that the group is on target to submit its report.
Provide a report to the Technical Services Working Group describing the group”s recommendations by November 13, 2015 so the recommendations can be reviewed and implemented for the December 2015 Alma monthly release.