Left Menu Right Menu

ORBIS CASCADE ALLIANCE

SHARED CONTENT TEAM MEETING

10:45a.m. – 12:00p.m., July 14, 2016

APPROVED MINUTES

Present: Gordon Aamot (Incoming Chair, University of Washington), Serin Anderson, incoming (St. Martin's University), Xan Arch, outgoing (Reed College), Amy Coughenour, outgoing (Concordia University), Linda Crook, incoming (Lane Community College), Kristi DeShazo, continuing (Oregon Health & Science University), Jill Emery, outgoing (Portland State University), Zeb Evelhoch, incoming (Central Washington University), Kathi Carlisle Fountain (Program Manager, Orbis Cascade Alliance), Tina Hovekamp, Council Liaison (Central Oregon Community College), Corey Murata, continuing (University of Washington), Mike Olson (Outgoing Chair, Western Washington University), Steve Perisho, incoming (Seattle Pacific University), Roger Stelk, incoming (Whitman University)

1) Introductions, comings, goings

2) Debriefing on summer meeting

  •   Last copy/3-copy threshold - takeaways?
    •  We received good feedback yesterday and today.
    • Hope this will be one of the first things can work on.
    • There should only be minor tweaks: need to be clear these aren't policies, but best practices. Add some language about what kinds of materials people need not feel guilty about letting go.
    • What did you think about increasing number of 3 copy threshold? Does it matter? It's a discretionary guideline – what does “x” copy mean for your institution?
    • Would it make sense to take the number out? Some of the feedback was that having the number helps some institutions with collection development responses to faculty. There's some value in keeping the number even in arbitrary or loosely used situations. There could be some need to revisit the number, but it may not be worth the ROI of the time and energy spent.
    • Would it be worthwhile to provide a range to give more flexibility? There should be enough for people to interpret and use, such as having an external guideline to use. Squishier means we'd have to create our own rule and defend it. Given the guiding principles document, we could lay out some principles for these two guidelines/best practices.
    • One question that came up was the courier service – while the courier is critical to sharing of collections, it's not within the scope of this group. It's definitely a concern, though. The only way these work is if have an efficient courier service.
  • Ebooks - takeaways?
    • Need to investigate the perpetual access issue. There would be a concern if the perpetual access tool is Portico and the Alliance doesn't have a membership. But don't know that that would work because membership would be expensive.
    • There was a question about cost and use of multipliers for ebooks. Would it be cheaper if selectors selected the content? IT might be cheaper, but would you get the content that you need? We need to create a pool that's appropriate for academic users. Also, this is part of why we're moving to evidence-based, to get away from STLs.
    • There may need to be more consideration of how to create information about cost and how it's structured – focus on cost per use and how usage has progressed.
    • There was discussion about weeding of ebook collections and the process. When? TBD (not yet). We have done weeding of the DDA title pool on an annual basis – removing backlist as part of managing costs and administration.
    • Who does weeding of ebooks on a regular basis? Case-by-case depending on out-dated information, DRM-suppression (when DRM-free version is available), etc.
    • If there's going to be a review of the funding formula, would prefer to know sooner rather than later.
    • Wiley EBA has a 4x multipler for the frontlist (2 years) and a 2x multiplier for the backlist.
    • Out of 5 years of DDA, we've have had 2 years that ended in the black, and 3 years where we struggled not to go over (1 year overspent by a lot). It's a function of the model, which is unpredictable, and we have to manage the discovery pool and guess at the best size for users.
    • Did Primo affect usage? We deduplicated DDA vs Academic Complete.
    • The SCT rep's suggestion/question about list of publishers in DDA: it's correct on FAQ but buried.
  •   Other takeaways?
    • We need to identify representatives for groups.
  • CoE Analytics. This is a group of people who works with analytics reports for reports around collections, but also looking at goals around what are the reports we'd like to do, and what would we like to create. This person would be a liaison between that group and SCT.
  •  Priority Support Issues. Involves attending two web meetings a month (one with Alliance team members and managers and one with additional Ex Libris representatives). Each team brings high priority Salesforce cases to the attention of the group in an effort to expedite attention from Ex Libris. These cases could be old ones or ones that have a high user impact.
  • Discuss how CoE Alma Collection Development group will work in the next year.
  • ACTION – Members were asked to consider volunteering for either group if theiy're interested and notify Gordon/Kathi by August 15.Other working groups may come up, depending on the work.
    • How does the Team get its work done? In addition to the two working groups, there are also ad hoc small groups to work on items that will be brought to the larger team (such as Collection Development Guiding Principles).
    • The shared records piece – how can the Alliance take on this work? This was seen as a benefit to moving to Alma, along with being one of the areas of the SILS set of responsibilities assigned to SCT. There have been reports coming out of collaborative workforce team that explain how technically it could be done, but it hasn't been developed. This is being discussed internally at the Alliance. It could be something that comes back to the group as something to tackle.

3) SCT at Council on Thursday/Friday

  • SCT Update: New chairs will give a 10-minute update on team activities
  • HathiTrust Update: Mike & Kathi will provide

4) Next steps

  • Set up meeting schedule for 2016/17. No meetings July-Aug.
    • Kathi will arrange for a Doodle poll to find a good time for the group.
  •  What to tackle first?
    • Last copy/3-copy threshold makes sense. Given the schedule of open calls, sending out drafts, etc., could take longer.
    • We'll also work on things simultaneously.