Left Menu Right Menu

ORBIS CASCADE ALLIANCE

SHARED CONTENT TEAM MEETING

10:00a.m. – 11:00a.m., December 21, 2016

APPROVED MINUTES


Present: Gordon Aamot (Chair, University of Washington), Serin Anderson (UW Tacoma), Linda Crook (Lane Community College), Kristi DeShazo (Oregon Health & Science University), Zeb Evelhoch (Central Washington University), Tina Hovekamp (Council Liaison, Central Oregon Community College), Corey Murata (University of Washington), Steve Perisho (Seattle Pacific University), Roger Stelk (Whitman College), Kathi Carlisle Fountain (Program Manager, Orbis Cascade Alliance), Dana Bostrom (Executive Director, Orbis Cascade Alliance)

Absent:

1) Transitions

Thank you to Linda Crook who will be the next SCT in-coming Chair. Gordon will be working with Linda in these next six months to get her ready for her chair role. Also, a big thank you and best wishes to Kathi Fountain whose last day with the Alliance is December 23. Dana explained that there will be an initial temporary replacement for Kathi’s position. The temporary person will be focusing on SCT and e-book work. Margarita will continue the licensing work she normally does. Hosting of SCT phone calls will be supported by Elizabeth and Curtis until Dana appoints this temp staff. The recruitment for Kathi’s position may align with the timing of the HR Alliance transition in June.

2 ) Working Groups – Reports, Updates

  •  E-Book Working Group (Kristi)

Kristi reported that the e-book group met last week. Within this first half of the fiscal year, the group has spent 25% of the e-book budget. Members of the group are working with Wiley to get statistics for the pilot. One of the requests placed on Wiley is separate statistics at the institutional level to analyze individual library use and purchases (these discussions are still evolving). The e-book group is also discussing with the vendor parameters for the purchasing decisions by the end of this first year as well as assessment of the evidence-based project. The pilot will most likely continue next year since it takes a couple of years to collect useful assessment statistics for the effectiveness of the program. Kathi reminded that the e-book budget is allocated: 50% for Academic Complete + Wiley project and 50% for DDA. The part that is currently “underspent” in the e-book budget mainly relates to the DDA project and its shrinking pool compared to past when all the e-book budget was us dedicated to DDA.

3) FY17 Goals

Joint Working Group on Sharing Policies Perceptions is put on hold - Dana advised that the SCT should not take on a new project during a period that is heavy with Alliance transitions.

Last Copy policy: the latest revision of the document separates policy versus procedures also allowing individual library discretion in determining the value of the materials. A few additional minor changes were made including changes of the heading “Procedures” to “Recommended procedures” and “Concerns” to “FAQ.” Kathi will also help with an addition to the FAQ section regarding staff listserv communications for the deselection of items.

3-copy threshold policy: a few changes in the document were made: the second bullet point on the document now reads: “Between 2011-2016, Alliance libraries purchased one or two copies of a title 70% of the time. This shows that fewer than 3 copies is often sufficient across the Alliance.” The team felt that this revision is important to recognize the positive effect and effectiveness of the policy.Additional language in the document was also modified to become more positive (eliminated the 2nd sentence in the document, “This was undertaken….”). Finally, the second paragraph of the document was updated to reflect current practices in the use of GOBI for the analysis of collections.

Next steps:

The two policies will be distributed to the SC reps during the 2nd week of January. On January 26, 3:30 pm, there will be a conference call with all reps. Written comments will be invited by those not able to attend. Kathi will set up the conference call and will send a calendar invitation.

Also, Dana wishes to see these two policies submitted to the Policy & Coordination group for official approval.

4) SILS Evaluation

Gordon summarized that the latest version of the SILS Evaluation process following the Dec 15 Policy and Coordination phone call. Rather than being team-based, the evaluation is now function-based. Corey Murata, Linda Crook, Amy Coughenour and Rodney Birch have volunteered to help with the survey questions and represent SC perspectives.

The description below provides a picture of the overall current process:

“As the project is so large, we are breaking the project up into sections that can be completed by smaller groups, working independently but coordinated by a Coordinating Group. Each small group must develop survey questions, for inclusion in the final analysis. Teams and Council members will be asked to volunteer names for small groups of about 6 people who will meet as a group and develop questions in their areas. The Coordinating Group Member will coordinate a phone call with each group to review and develop questions.”

Dana explained that the planning for the SILS evaluation project is still a work in progress. For right now, the main efforts are placed in the recruitment for survey work groups and the determination of the questions for the survey. The decision on the number of surveys for this project has not been finalized yet. There may be just one survey that will be distributed and filled by each library with help from local representatives. Also, for right now the goal of the survey is to determine what the SILS was expected to deliver; what was actually delivered; and how the new SILS has impacted the Alliance’s ability to collaborate. Dana said that this is a high level survey with an expected analysis of results that goes back to the teams to take into consideration for their future planning and activities.

The SILS survey group convenes on January 3 for the first time. There will be a Google doc where the group will report their progress. Everybody will be welcome to access it and provide feedback. The survey will be ready by January 31. Dana is seeking volunteers for the pre-testing which will take place on February 2 or 3.

5) Alliance Goal Planning – change in process for FY18

This year, the process of team goal setting is reversed. Instead of each team coming up with its own goals to submit to the Alliance, the Alliance overall goals will be guiding each team’s planning and specific activities. See below the high-level goals the Board has identified for the Alliance as the baseline for team goal setting.

Last week Cathie distributed the document each group will need to use for their activities. Dana explained that each team will be asked to report on two type of categories: a) ongoing activities that keep the Alliance going (e.g. 3-copy policy) and b) possible future strategic initiatives. Dana stressed the need for better alignment between the Alliance strategic agenda and the activities/projects groups are taking on. The time commitment involved in each project is also an important consideration.

Gordon said that SCT will be working on its report of goals/activities in January. All Alliance goals will be under consideration as we structure the SCT priorities. Goal #3 is particularly relevant to SC activities, but we will need to explore the rest of the Alliance goals to identify related interests. Once determined, the team goals will be presented at the February Council meeting.

Alliance Goals (draft)

1. Move core systems (Archives West, ArchivesSpace, Alma, Primo) toward more efficient and sustainable operations through vendor, staff and team activities.

2. Increase engagement of members through effective communication and facilitated collaboration.

3. Collaborate to enable stable and robust access to diverse content for research, teaching & learning.

4. Identify priorities and develop structures for collaborative work.

5. Examine current central Alliance processes and structures to re-examine, refresh and / or re-engage.

Next scheduled SCT meeting is January 4, 2017