Left Menu Right Menu

Board Meeting #24

April 10, 2013
2 - 3:30 pm

GoToMeeting

Expected Attendance

Jay Starratt, Chair -- absent
Chris Shaffer, Chair-elect -- serving as chair of this Board meeting
Betsy Wilson, Past Chair
Deb Carver, Treasurer (FY13 & 14)
Scot Harrison, Secretary (FY13 & 14)
Michelle Bagley, Member at Large (FY12 & 13)
Jane Carlin, Member at Large (FY12 & 13)*
Natalie Beach, Member-at-Large (FY13 & 14)  -- absent
Susan Barnes Whyte, Member-at-Large (FY13 & 14) -- absent
John F. Helmer, Executive Director (ex officio & non-voting)

* completing the term of Christopher Cox.

Guest

Lynn Chmelir, Shared ILS Implementation Manager until 2:25

Agenda


1. Brief Reports

*       Shared ILS implementation

Overview and update (Lynn Chmelir)

Lynn reported that Cohort 1 go-live dates should be finalized Friday (4/12). She noted that there will likely be a two-to-three week off-line period for technical services and possibly a weekend of off-line time for circulation.  The extent of downtime for payment activity remains to be clarified.  Some libraries are considering closing books prior to migration.

 

Primo will be available to Cohort 1 libraries next week, and functional workshops are scheduled for next week as indicated below.  Three Ex Libris trainers will be working with 80 Alliance staff.

 

Ex Libris has the Network Zone ready to test and on-site training is scheduled for May 29 and 30.

 

While July will be the Cohort 2 kick-off—whether via web or in person has not yet been determined—Cohort 2 libraries have already been tasked with completing initial migration forms and generating record samples by mid-May. The training team is working hard, identifying individuals to assist with Cohort 2 training.

 

Lynn reported that she and John have received and are reviewing a new draft document from Ex Libris on the Center for Excellence, our partnership with Ex Libris for developing consortial functionality.

Functional Workshops

*       Monday, April 15: 9:30 AM to 5 PM, Fulfillment (Circulation/Resource Sharing)

*       Tuesday, April 16, 8 AM to noon, Fulfillment (Circulation/Resource Sharing)

*       Tuesday, April 16, 1 PM to 5 PM, Resource Management, (Cataloging, Acquisitions, and Serials/ERM)

*       Wednesday, April 17, 8 AM to 5 PM, Resource Management, (Cataloging, Acquisitions, and Serials/ERM)

*       Thursday, April 18, 8 AM to noon, Resource Management, (Cataloging, Acquisitions, and Serials/ERM)

*       Thursday, April 18, 1 PM to 5 PM, Acquisitions (Acquisitions and also Technical Services managers)

*       Friday, April 19, 8 AM to noon, Acquisitions (Acquisitions and also Technical Services managers)

Lynn left the call about 2:25.

Maintenance agreements (John Helmer)

Discussions with Innovative Interfaces continue to go well, but questions remain about whether we will have monthly or quarterly extensions.

Sister consortia (John Helmer)

John reported that sister consortia have indicated their appreciation for the process and the on-going communication from the Alliance related to the Shared ILS migration and their options.

Finance & cashflow (John Helmer)

No Alliance members have asked for extensions to the five-year SILS payment schedule.  (Council had asked the Board to work with any members facing challenges.)

Board Elections. The Board congratulated Jane Carlin, our 2013-2014 chair-elect. The vote for the member-at-large position is in process.

Alliance Search Committee (John Helmer).  There is a strong pool for both the Shared ILS Program Manager and the Collection Services Program Manager positions. Once finalists have been selected, everyone in the Alliance will have the opportunity to see the presentations and provide feedback.

HathiTrust (John Helmer). John consulted with Bob Thomas (SILS Cat WG chair) who has explored options for sending Hathi Trust the Alliance bibliographic and holdings data required for a group membership quote. Unfortunately, the demands of the Shared ILS migration make such work impractical at this time.  John suggested that we reexamine this possibility after Cohort 1 goes live.  . 

ArchivesSpace (John Helmer). John and Jodi are seeking clarity on the possibility and desirability of a consortial membership and will do so prior to the end of May when ArchivesSpace charter membership applications are due.

Content Management System for Alliance web site (John Helmer).  SiteCrafting, a Tacoma firm, has been selected to develop a new Alliance web site, with a target a six month target for deployment.

 

In general discussion, the question was raised whether the go-live deadline for Cohort 1 would be met and whether the Board was doing all it needed to do in order to ensure deadlines are met.  John indicated we should have more clarity after the functional workshops scheduled for next week. At this point, he has no specific concerns, but he and Lynn will let the Board know if they think the Board needs to take any additional action.

 

2. Strategic Planning (Chris)

Background: Strategic Planning Group

Discussion question: "Given your experience of the strategic planning interviews, surveys, and Council meeting discussions, what is your desired outcome of the Council retreat?"

The Strategic Planning Group is scheduled to meet Friday and they have asked for Board input on the above discussion question. In discussing this question, the Board agreed that the existing strategic plan had been extraordinarily helpful in guiding the work of the Alliance. It was suggested that the next generation of our strategic agenda may in part be a honing of the current plan, with Council determining what we continue to work on and what does not move forward.  We have a number of projects on our plate now—most notably the implementation of the Shared ILS—that we need to make certain we do well.  One Board member stressed the need to have both a clear focus and a clear sequence of initiatives to foster “managed ambitions.” The current agenda, while highly ambitious and successful, has also been stressful. We should learn from our experience with the current strategic agenda about the level of contribution that these initiatives demand of our libraries and how to manage those demands better.



Postponed due to chair's absence:

3. Executive Director assessment
(Jay)
This is an Executive Session, i.e., without Executive Director, staff, or guests.
Background:
Executive Director Assessment